MYSTERIOUS MESSAGE IN A BOTTLE FOUND IN CATHEDRAL

A bottle has been discovered in Durham Cathedral containing a mysterious hundred-year-old message.

Unearthed during relaying work to the flagstones near the Bede’s tomb, the corked bottle contained a faded handwritten note.

Written on the back on a flyer from the Globe Theatre, the message reads, “This grave was opened on Sunday May 11th 1913” and is signed by three men. Spooky.

Message in bottle

One of the writers has recently been revealed to be a certain Mr William Raybole, who was given a job as a stone mason in the cathedral after losing his leg in World War I, and worked there for many years afterwards.

Durham Cathedral archaeologist Norman Emery reportedly said: “On the back of the flyer someone has written in blue pencil the names of three men and something which looks like a mason’s mark.

Globe theatre

“There is another word, which looks like ‘grave’ and below that ‘this grave was opened on May 13, 1913.’

“It is intriguing to actually find under the floor a bottle recording something that appears to have happened to a grave in that chapel.

“But unfortunately it doesn’t reveal what they did, whose grave it was or why they disturbed it or to what extent they disturbed it.”

Message

The details to this story remain pretty sketchy. Were these men looking for buried treasure, searching for a lost secret, or perhaps carrying out an ancient vendetta? We’re not quite sure. His granddaughter simply reckons it was just a mistake and the message was left to clear their consciences.

Whether she’s right or if it’s something a lot more exciting, the mystery continues…

Photos from dailymail.co.uk