Top in UK for Quality of Life

Freshers, get excited – survey reveals we’ve beaten 90 British universities to the top spot for student quality of life!

We may have scored rather miserably for diversity of nightlife last week, but students have ranked Durham as top in the UK for quality of life, out of 91 institutions.220px-Durham_Graduation

The research, conducted by Lloyds Bank for the first time this year, used a range of sources to score universities against factors such as accommodation, costs, sports facilities, students’ earnings and crime rates.

Alongside Oxbridge, Newcastle and Loughborough also made it into the top universities for quality of life:

The top 10 is a mixture of old and new

The top 10 is a mixture of old and new

Here is a summary of the results:

• 90% of Durham students are happy with their course (compared with the UK average of 85%)
  • Durham has some of the ‘best sporting facilities’ amongst British universities, recently coming 6th in the UK for sport, and our sports clubs came in second place in the BUCS Overall Championship in 2012/13
  • Durham has the lowest crime rate in the survey – with only 0.88 incidents per 1000 residents
  • 92% of final year Durham graduates find employment (or carry on studying), with an annual full time median salary of £22,000. (The highest full time salaries were found to be earned by graduates from LSE, with an average of £27,388 after 6 months)
  • Students reported Durham to have a good social life (Newcastle and Sheffield shared top place for universities with the best social life)

However, the survey did show that Durham has some of the most expensive accommodation (both university owned, sponsored and private rentals) of UK universities.

Meanwhile, Northumbria University just down the road, had the cheapest institution owned or sponsored accommodation, followed by Swansea, Teeside and Staffordshire.

Unsurprisingly, the top five universities with the most expensive accommodation were all in London.

Nitesh Patel, an economist at Lloyds Bank, said ‘Durham students are satisfied with the quality of their course, which appears to provide them with excellent employment prospects, but they also rate their social life highly and live in a low crime environment. On the downside, accommodation costs are on the high side.’

See the full list below:

Bank University qQuality of Life Rankings – the top 30 Universities 2013

University, Town/City, Ranking 2013

University of Durham, Durham, 1

Loughborough University, Loughborough, 2

University of Cambridge, Cambridge, 3

University of Newcastle upon Tyne, Newcastle, 4

University of Oxford, Oxford, 5

University of Bath, Bath, 6

University of Nottingham, Nottingham, 7

University of Manchester, Manchester, 8

University of Sheffield, Sheffield, 9

Swansea University, Swansea, 10

University of Northumbria, Newcastle, 11

University of Leeds, Leeds, 12

University of Birmingham, Birmingham, 13

University of Exeter, Exeter, 14

University of Warwick, Coventry, 15

University of Bristol, Bristol, 16

Keele University, Keele, 17

University of East Anglia, Norwich, 18

Lancaster University, Lancaster, 19

University of Southampton, Southampton, 20

Cardiff Metropolitan University, Cardiff, 21

University of Reading, Reading, 22

University of Liverpool, Liverpool, 23

Sheffield Hallam University, Sheffield, 24

University of York, York, 25

University of Chester, Chester, 26

Leeds Metropolitan University, Leeds, 27

University of Kent, Canterbury, 28

York St John University, York, 29

University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh, 30