Library Donates a Day of Fines to DUCK

Durham University Library is donating over £1000 worth of fines to DUCK, over double the average daily takings.

The fines, collected from the Bill Bryson, Queen’s, Leazes Road and Business School Libraries on the first day back after Easter this year, amounted to £1,007.

Four charities have been shortlisted by library staff, and students can vote for either Cats Protection, Macmillan Cancer Support, Mind and St Cuthberts Hospice, each of which the library has supported over the last year.

From tomorrow until Friday this week, you can vote between the four shortlisted charities on the DUO library tab, the Library’s Facebook page or in person at the Bill Bryson Library.

The funds will then be distributed proportionally to the four charities according to the number of votes received.

Carmen O’Loughlin, DUCK Officer for 2012-2013, said: “After the success of Fines Friday last year, we would like to thank Durham University Library for donating another day of fines payments to help some amazing causes.”

Pete Maggs, Deputy Librarian, said: “Library staff are actively engaged in supporting a range of charities through fundraising and volunteering.

“When DUCK approached us about donating one day’s fines to charity this year we were really keen to get involved to demonstrate our support of these activities as a department.”

“Fines act as a deterrent to ensure fast turnaround of books and to ensure better and faster access to books for all students.”

Final year students must return all items to the Library and clear any Library fines by this Wednesday in order to attend Summer Congregation ceremonies.