Django will be there. Will you?

Charlie Gardiner-Hill talks music, fresh expectation and bringing black back with the man behind tonight’s launch of Django Swing at Loft – Django himself.

Tab: Django, first up, why Loft?

Django: Hands down the best club in Durham. Studio is just a pit, Academy’s big with nothing much to it and Loveshack is great, but it’s Loveshack so…

Tab: What’s Django bringing to the scene that we haven’t seen before?

D: People like change and we’re going to keep people on their toes, we’re not here week in week out, we’re only going to throw a night two or three times a term. The Monk nights bring people their weekly fix, NOVA’s pretty music based but Django is for the people who don’t want to be listening to the stuff they’d always hear but at the same time just want a BIG night out.

Tab: OK. So music wise what’s Django bringing to the table?

D: It’s an eclectic mix of soul, electro and swing – just really big tunes that are going to drag people onto the dancefloor.

Tab: What sparked the idea, drunken pub conversation?

D: Partly because Itchy Feet is huge around the country but has really fallen flat here and I was really keen to bring this great sort of night that people swear by, that electro swing vibe, and combine it with some of the shine that independent nights can bring to Durham, which is partly the reason we asked Ollie Scott in to DJ. I’m also just looking to bring aspects of epic nights, like Moonshine in Edinburgh and Gin’n’Juice down in Leeds, to Durham – there’s no reason we shouldn’t have it and I think it’s worthy of some buzz.

Tab: So Itchy Feet isn’t filling that gap?

D: People have tried Itchy Feet, people have had good night but it’s lacking the buzz that that sort of night has kicked up in other universities, that’s what Django is here to bring.

Tab: Other than it being the end of exams, why should people head down to Django tonight? What makes Django special?

D: It’s quite hard to give one reason. To be honest, it’s just going to be a hell of a night. The music is just going to pull you to the dancefloor and we’re taking the best bits of Durham nightlife – the passion of NOVA and the rowdiness of Loveshack so you can walk into Loft and just be on it. You’ll walk in and there’s going to be a strawpedo bar…

Tab: A strawpedo bar?!

D: You know it. Then there’ll be loads of good old cheap jagerbombs. Head outside and there’ll be some surprises, as well as a massive green screen photo booth with a majestic set of props.

Tab: You get the feeling Django is just about having a bloody good time, not about making money or…

D: Exactly. For everyone, whether it’s a house card, a social, a birthday – whatever the occasion everyone will know that Django is the place just to kick back and have a big night. That’s what it’s about.

Tab: Will Django be out on his debut?

D: Django will be amongst the crowds and we’re waiting to hear from Samuel L.

Tab: Strawpedo bars, jagerbombs…this is all set up for students to have fun, more to come?

D: We’re looking to be really dynamic with our drinks there’ll be some pretty imaginative discounts and things Durham hasn’t seen before, like tequila bars, sambuca bars – we’re bringing a whole world of fun.

Django will be whipping up a frenzy

Tab: Down to business then, ticket prices?

D: Simple – £4 before 11.30 and £5 any time after that. We’ve put a lot in to make this an incredible night and we want to get a bit of cash in hand to get a live saxophonist for next time – that’s the dream and it’d be well worth it.

Tab: What moves will Django be looking for people to pull on his debut night on the town?

D: He’s open to all possibilities but new takes on old tricks and a whole load of swagger will go a long way with Django.

Tab: The music genre is advertised as pretty broad, you just playing everything to get people through the door?

D: Absolutely not, whilst we’re not focussed on one genre, we’re all about having a good time and bringing in sounds like funk and soul to the essential electro swing vibe, is something that will be seriously exciting. We want people to have their cake and eat it.

Django is coming. Fresh best look busy.

Tab: Any words from Django for the under-performing fresh of this year?

D: This is your last chance, Durham deserves better than this and they’ve just got to get out there and tear it up – we want to see freshers letting loose tonight, end of.

Tab: Obviously Django’s a silver tongued devil but who are is top picks for tonight, who’s going to pulling hard and getting themselves unchained.

D: A third year gold rush is on the cards. Naomi Oluleye will definitely be looking for some satisfaction and, as always, Leo Morris will probably be wondering whether Bianca Morris or Hannah Blom is the one for him. Tough choices.

Tab: Would Django pick up Charlie Warner’s sloppy seconds?

D: Definitely. No doubt.

Tab: What does Django call for dress sense wise, what’s Django-style?

D: Whatever people feel like, ideally something slightly ridiculous, silly headgear, anything like that. Just give it some flair – that’s Django style, can never get enough flair.

Tab: Who would Django be getting his weapon out for?

D: Any girl that turns up in a bikini will be top of his list and they’ll definitely be accorded free entry.

Fancy some of this? Bring you bikinis.

Tab: As one of the only black men in Durham, do you get lonely?

D: It’s hard. Especially with Chet, who in the main man’s book, just doesn’t count as an old school black man – Durham should know that. Makes it hard though to, you know, keep up the side.

Tab: Django’s idea of a perfect big night out?

D: Kicking back in the sun, hitting it hard, climbing the stairs up to his namesake night, smash some turbo strawpedos. Now he’s on it, find a lonely corner on the dancefloor, pull some ridiculous shapes and get a bit sticky. Finally, blow up the whole place on his way out and returning home to have his way with his woman. Job done.

Tab: Django’s perfect post lash takeaway?

D: Chicken wings.

Tab: Spicy?

D: Never.

Tab: That’s a surprise, fighting the stereotype?

D: He’s a cold blooded killer but he’s soft on the inside. Put it this way, if he went to Nandos, Lemon and Herb would be a struggle.

Tab: Shocking news. Despite not liking the heat, we can be sure that tonight’s going to be fiery?

D: Without a doubt. Django is bringing the fire.