‘The Durham Story’: The Hunt is on!

Ever fancied yourself as a bit of a cartoonist? Alex Morgan introduces his up and coming documentary ‘The Durham Story’ and appeals for modern-day cartoon artists to get involved…

Last week The Tab gave you a sneak preview of the exciting up and coming Durham documentary (scroll down for trailer).

Today, writer and producer Alex Morgan asks for your help…

University is an adventure, and no one knew that better than Edward Bradley.

Joining University College as a young and impressionable undergraduate in 1845, Bradley recorded the antics and adventures of Durham’s early students in a series of cartoons. These drawings provide an unrivalled first-hand account of their lives: where they lived; how they dressed; what they ate; and how much they drank!

Bradley’s artwork is one of the perspectives re-discovered and retold as part of ‘The Durham Story’; Durham’s first feature-length documentary, set for release this June.

The film recounts the story of those first students alongside modern-day tales, reaching behind the façade of official history to shed light on the more mischievous origins of our University.

Prior to the official Premiere, to be held in Castle’s Great Hall, we’re on the hunt for budding cartoon artists to sketch a short comic-strip about student life today!

Their work will be professionally printed and displayed to tie in with the launch of the film, while they shall attend the launch night festivities as honoured guests; read on for more….

Writing under the pseudonym ‘Cuthbert-Bede,’ the young Edward Bradley took up his sketch-pad to preserve a window into the student world of the 1840s; capturing the period which saw Durham transformed from the seat of the mighty Prince-Bishops to home of a fledgling University.

An example of Bradley’s work

Bradley wasn’t the only colourful character in Durham’s history; my team and I were spoilt for choice when producing ‘The Durham Story,’ and I was delighted when figures such as Bill Bryson, Jeremy Vine and Sir Thomas Allen added their contributions.

The aim of the project was to shed light on undergraduate life in those early years, joining the dots with student life today to appreciate the roots of our best loved traditions.

See the trailer for the film here:

To follow on from Bradley’s ‘Ye Freshmonne’ sketches we’re on the hunt for a 21st century comic strip take on student life.

Submissions need simply to be in the spirit of Bradley’s sketches (seen above); kept comic and clean! For more details or to submit a sketch of your own simply email: [email protected].

For information on how you can attend a free screening of the film or get hold of the DVD, visit the Facebook page.