AfroCarribean Fashion Show: The Debut

The Tab finishes off its reviews of the fashion show season at the debut of a night with an exotic twist.

I should start by stressing that I know absolutely nothing about Afro-Caribbean culture. I have never visited Africa in my life and have no Afro-Caribbean family connections.

Consequently, when the Afro-Caribbean Society (ACS) asked me to attend their first fashion show, ‘Origins, An Afro-Caribbean show case’, I was intrigued but a little unsure as to what I would encounter. However, upon arriving at the Three Tons Hotel, the organisers of this enthralling show, Moyo Akinluyi and Damilola Onabowale, put my qualms to rest. Throughout the slick night we were treated to a multitude of enormous bottles of champagne, dancers, vibrant danshiki tops, solo singers , jazz and of course, oily topless models.

The evening started with moving solos from Jola Ayeye, Tsemaye Bob-Egbe and Marie Shabaya. Special credit should be given to Marie given that she gave an incredible performance despite the failure of the sound system. Following this, the drums rumbled through the room and the show began. I should say that thankfully, unlike the other college and university fashion shows, there were no strict ‘heavies’ in place to command order, and coupled with the vast quantities of beverages flowing, the atmosphere was buzzing!

Yes, we’re all fans

It was brilliant to see that Tobi Onabolu had easily slipped out of the Hatfield harem pants and into a pair of rainbow shorts.  The other models looked equally as comfortable and we were left bemused as they strutted along the cat-walk with confidence and pride showing off lines from Sorella, Eldimaa Fashions, Adala and plenty more. The lines were an eclectic mix of swim-wear and formal clothing with hints of Afro-Caribbean origins persistently oozing through. In addition, the heated displays of dancing in which the hips and arms were flexed and wiggled in ways one rarely has the privilege of watching, undoubtedly added to the excitement of the evening.

Colouring in Durham with some exotic diversity

The show raised an amazing amount and with the help of the auction ACS has managed to generously support Little Saints Orphanage and Children North East; two great charities based in Nigeria and the North East respectively. Tosan Wiltshire exuberated a fun and classy style and although compering is never an easy feat and can go horrendously wrong, Tosan did a sterling job especially given he was by himself!

This was a cracking night and I hope ACS will put on another show next year. It will undoubtedly improve in years to come but it’s a new fresh feature to Durham that should be seen by all.