Red Nose Day makeover

The Lady of the North is wearing a Red Nose for charity.

The world’s biggest red nose has come to Northumberland.

In a bid to raise money for Comic Relief, Durham students have covered The Lady of the North’s nose in red material. And now students are hoping they’ve broken a Guinness World Record.

Feeling chilly?

Visitors watched as members of Durham University Charities Kommittee (DUCK) dressed the sculpture’s nose in a 12m wide red tarpaulin, before covering it in donated squares of red material.

Northumbria’s leading lady’s nose is 9.7m wide at its base, 3.2m wide at the top and 4.6m heigh. That’s equivalent to four double-decker busses or an entire house.

The material was donated by charitable locals who raided their wardrobes for unwanted red clothes.

Olivia Milligan, a DUCK member, told the Journal, “Everyone was really enthusiastic about putting a huge red nose on The Lady of the North and will most likely be a point of conversation for a while to come.”

“We are thrilled to… potentially have a mention in the Guinness Book of Records.”

Euan Hall, CEO of the trust that owns the sculpture, added, “We can’t think of a bigger nose anywhere in the world. Northumberlandia’s nose is wider than the Statue of Liberty’s whole head.”

Red Nose Day is on Friday. For more information, click here.