Nowt To Wine About

Lydia Arkell and Miffy Nash explore at the reasons why Wine Soc is now the biggest paying society in Durham.

Durham students have often been stereotyped as a porting, red-trouser sporting, Tory supporting bunch; and the notion of a highly oversubscribed University Wine Society could be seen as further evidence in support of this. However, Wine Soc strikes the balance between those who know their Chablis from their Chardonnay, and those who… Strawpedo.

With new membership flooding in this year, the Wine society is the (self-proclaimed) biggest society in Durham for paying members, with a current hoard of over 500 members.

Wine Soc hosts regular meetings in the DSU’s Kingsgate Bar, supplying the members with unlimited wine and copious amounts of cheese.

The wine is bought from a local supplier, and the cheese is scouted out by the majestically titled Mistresses of the Cheese: the aim is to provide the members with something different from what they can find on the shelves in Tesco.

For those more discerning wine buffs, each term the society arranges a formal tasting, in which a visiting specialist will give you all the knowledge you need to sound like a conoisseur: last term a Bordeaux tasting took place in Oldfields, and this term there will be a champagne tasting, provided by Pol Roger, the champagne suppliers for the royal wedding.

In the wake of the highly successful annual Wine Society Ball, and following a profitable Refreshers Fair (managing to lure several new candidates away from the clutches of the Pokemon Society and the LARPers), Durham University Wine Society is looking forward to an equally jovial 2013.

The Ball took place on the last night of Michaelmas term, as 250 Wine Soc members descended on the spectacular Lumley Castle for a night of drinking and debauchery.

A black-tie champagne reception was followed by a three-course banquet in the Baron’s Hall.

But as expected, bow ties and high heels were soon cast aside, and suave turned to sweaty, as dancing in the dungeon commenced.

Following a successful run of Wine Society Balls, the DJ had shunned musical advice from the Exec, proclaiming: ‘I read the crowd, and I read them perfectly.’ And he wasn’t wrong.

A final rendition of Take That’s ‘Never Forget’ was met by Klute-esque enthusiasm in the beautiful castle setting; a perfect end to a memorable night!

So for those of you sick of, or should we say sick from, prelashing on Tesco Value vodka and squash in your dingy college bedroom or a crusty kitchen, come along to Wine Society. The next meeting will be Wednesday 6th February.

For future events join the Facebook page and for further information, email El Presidente, Alex Hill at [email protected].