Geography Lecturer Backs Snowmen

Durham’s Dr Sim Reaney has supported the theory that building snowmen can help to prevent flooding after an Environment Agency spokesman suggested that such structures would slowing down the process of thawing.

Despite much scepticism around the claim, the physical geography lecturer has said that there may, in fact, be some truth behind the suggestion.

Dr Reaney stated, “On a very practical level, it does actually make some sense.

“I’ve read through some of the stuff myself. The more you pile up snow, the longer it takes to melt.

“It was an interesting headline but there is some science behind it. I can see how it would work.

“Rain on snow is a big cause of flood events. Any snow that is compacted takes longer to thaw, whether it be on a road or as a snowman.”

Although the lecturer was sceptical of the major impact that snowmen could have, he said, “You are making a difference.

“It is action at a sensitive place in the landscape. You are doing something where it needs to happen.”

He described how in urban areas, where melted snow runs directly off roads and pavements into drains, snowmen would make more of a difference than in fields where it would take longer for the water to filter into watercourses.

However, he did say, “If everybody made a snowman, it doesn’t actually take up that much snow.

“The country is covered from top to bottom.”

The flaw in the theory seems to be the time lag between snow melting and the water reaching rivers.

Here are some of your attempts at snowmen so far…

DUHC Snowman

Oarsome day for a row

Bishop Auckland police join in the fun

King of the Castle

Tweet us your photos or send them to [email protected]