Durhamite describes helicopter crash

A former Durham University student watched in horror this morning as a helicopter crashed into a crane and plummeted to the ground in flames just 100 yards from him in South Lambeth London.

Quin Murray (@QuinMurray), a professional photographer, immediately tweeted a picture of the wreck that went viral and was used by several national news outlets including the BBC.Two people were killed and 12 were hurt when a helicopter crashed into a crane on a building in central London at 8am this morning.

Mr Murray said, “I am in a lot of shock. “I was on my bike and it came down just a 100 yards or so in front of me.

“I saw the helicopter clip the crane and then plummet to the ground and explode. From where I was it looked as though it had landed in a building site.

“It is now clear it actually landed just the other side of the building site. There was quite a large amount of fire and a huge smoke cloud.”

The eyewitness then tweeted a picture of smoke billowing from the wreck, writing: “Helicopter just hit a crane and crashed a few metres in front of me in Vauxhall. Completely shaken.”

Quin also tweeted a picture of ‘part of the crane on the ground by the crash site’

He said: “My parents and my friends know what my cycle route is, so I wanted them to know it wasn’t me under it.

“I tried to make my way to work, but was so in shock that I had to get off my bike and walk it.

“By that the emergency services had arrived. They arrived very quickly and cordoned everything off. They were absolutely amazing and started putting people in ambulances.”

Quin attended Collingwood College where he studied psychology. Graduating last June, he now works as a photographer and for his own tech company.