DUAFC’s Mid-Season Report

DUAFC’S JOSH ADDINALL gives his mid-season report on their season so far, both on and off the pitch.

Two months ago The Tab ran a season preview for DUAFC and asked whether the club could build on last year’s ‘dream season’ and secure an unlikely third consecutive promotion.

After an unbeaten start to the season for the first team they are well on their way to emulating the remarkable achievements of the last two years.

And although the second team have had their fixture list decimated by the weather they are well in contention for another promotion too.

The firsts have recorded league wins over Leeds Met, Liverpool and Newcastle – as well as earning draws against Leeds and Chester – to put them in the driving seat at the season’s half-way point.

A repeat of those results after Christmas would ensure Durham’s promotion from Northern 1A to the Northern Premiership – a stunning feat considering only two years ago the first team were plying their trade in division Northern 3B.

Interview: 

Club Captain Spencer Brown is determined not to get carried away:

“It’s been a good start to the season but it’s pointless getting too excited now,” he said.

“We’re only at the halfway point, and we have to maintain our standards next term to have any chance of going up to the Premiership.

“It’s also a huge term for the second team, who have had a lot of their games postponed because of the weather.

“Both teams will come out flying after Christmas and I can’t wait for the first set of fixtures in January.”

The Tab asked DUAFC for a few light-hearted mid-season awards…

Shrinking violet of the term – Billy Wells

Loose addition to the squad for a night out – Several strong contenders, but Josh Golding and Jack Shiel share the honours

Dark Horse with the ladies – Enrique Sadler

Squad badger – Liam Isaac

Most common/embarrassing tweeter – Liam Isaac

Machine – Ray Hackett, who regularly runs to training at Meadowfield (a good few miles away) in arctic conditions to hone his fitness

Worst Dancer – Oli Gill

Crowd pleaser – Jonny Giles, unbelievable tekkers

‘Loose addition’, Josh Golding (left) on the prowl with fresher, John Priestner.