DURFC PREPARE FOR ANNUAL CHARITY MATCH

The Tab cordially invites you to the latest episode of Wednesday Night Lights…

On the 28th November DURFC 1st XV host local rivals Northumbria 1st XV in their Annual Charity Match, in aid of Sport in Action, Zambia. For the past few years, the match has attracted crowds in the 1000s and has become by far the biggest Team Durham Charity Fixture of the season. With so many people coming down, the atmosphere is something to behold.

Over the last two years DURFC have been establishing their reputation as the number one University Rugby Club in Britain. The 1st team has won the BUCS Northern Premiership twice, won the BUCS National 7s twice, and reached the final of the BUCS Cup twice – winning in 2011. Last year’s Charity Match saw DURFC put 70 points past Northumbria in an enthralling one-sided try fest in front of around 3000 fans. The ambiance made for an incredible evening, with many people, especially socials, starting their Wednesday night out with a few drinks in front of some of the best University rugby around.

However, Northumbria are a much better side this year, boasting an ex-Super 12 player in the centres, and they made Durham fight for the win away earlier in the season, so DURFC need your help to beat them again and keep up the chase of a third successive league title.

Therefore this year, DURFC want to pull in a crowd of around 5000 and make this the biggest charity game for past few years.  We have lots planned to entertain you including a Cross-bar Challenge and a College Captains’ Challenge. We also have one more inter-college challenge planned that has the potential to be the final blow in any college argument as to which is the best and we will be releasing the details of this nearer the time.

The match supports Sport in Action Zambia, a non-government funded project based around the development of sport. The project was formed in 2005 in a unique union between a UK Sport initiative and a selection of UK Universities who collectively make up the Wallace Group. The partnership selects and trains students from the six universities who travel out to Lusaka, where they spend the time working with local volunteers, organising and delivering School PE lessons, Community sports programmes and health awareness workshops within the deprived areas of the City’s compounds. The Project aims to focus on the positive impact that sport can have upon impoverished communities and is a very worthy cause to get behind, so make sure you buy your ticket.

Tickets cost £2 pre-sold or £3 pounds on the gate. They can be bought from any member of DURFC, college DUCK reps and will be available to buy outside Elvet Riverside and the Library in the days leading up to the game.

The full details can be found on the DURFC Facebook page or on Twitter @DURFC. Click attending on the Facebook event to find out the key details of the game and all the half time entertain planned.

Wednesday Night Lights returns to Durham City RFC on 28th November so make sure you get your ticket to support DURFC and Sport in Action, Zambia.