The Graduate: Sarah Peters

The Tab catches up with former DST president Sarah Peters.

| UPDATED DST The Graduate theatre

Working on an exciting game event 2.8 Hours Later in Birmingham, the former DST President Sarah Peters found some time to answer a few of our questions before she flies off to work on an event in Morocco this week.  Staying busy as always, Sarah has worked over the summer as a Production Assistant for a global events company, and briefly worked as the Creative Projects and Education Officer at the Theatre Royal Windsor. She talked to us about how she finds it hard not having theatre on a plate anymore and what she gained from her experiences in the lively Durham drama scene

Best Durham theatre memory?

Oh god, there are so many! The opening night of every show that I’ve been involved in. It’s always an amazing memory because you see every tiny piece of work that you’ve been through just come to fruition.  One of my best Durham theatre memories was working as a first time Director on a production of Bent, in my third year. It was amazing to watch the opening night of it. The tech and the costumes which we had hired from the National Theatre all came together with the phenomenal actors, which I had been so lucky to be blessed with.  It was just amazing.  Even though the audience definitely wasn’t full, it still was a fantastic feeling to know that I had been a massive part in creating that. And then it went to win the D’Oscar for Best Play in 2012. That’s probably one of my best Durham memories.

Why did you choose to study English and Music?

I knew that I wanted Theatre to be a massive part of my Durham experience and that Arts subjects would fit it in with that, as there weren’t many lectures.  Single Honours Music was my original choice, but then I couldn’t imagine not studying literature, because I simply love it. I wanted to get to know more Shakespeare, do some analysis and similar things, so I combined Music with English.  Then, I picked up French and Business along the way, which turned out to be a blessing and a curse… My French tutors were amazing, but I just didn’t give enough time to it and ended up with an awful grade.  But my saving grace was a module in Marketing (Business), which has now been taken off the syllabus because it was too easy… I chose to do Marketing, which I knew a fair amount about because of producing theatre, so that pulled up my whole grade and really got me a 2:1.  That’s kind of the flexibility with Combined Honours, that you can just pick things up as you go, which is what I did.

How did you get involved with DST?

I met everybody at the Freshers’ Fair, came along to Spotlight and literally got involved from there. My first show was an HCTC production called ‘Stags and Hens’, where I proudly demonstrated what I now know was a truly appalling Liverpudlian accent.  At the same time, I produced a Hild Bede Theatre show, called ‘Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf?’. So I learned a fair bit about how to juggle productions with academic commitments in that first term – mainly that sacrificing sleep is sometimes the only way; so get used to it quick!  I got involved with a bit of teching and backstage work in first term too, just so that I could get to know the Assembly Rooms a little more.

What’s your dream character? 

Oh this is cheesy as hell, but probably Elphaba in ‘Wicked’. I would have to choose within musical theatre because I’m a massive fan of the genre.  You’re living the dream, you’re defying gravity, you’re flying onstage, what would be better? If Elphaba’s taken, then Yente the Matchmaker from Fiddler it is… But only if Joe Leather (previous DULOG President) is playing Tevye.

Most embarrassing moment onstage?

I had the most embarrassing moment happen to me in one of the Durham Improvised Musical shows we did at Grey in my second year, although I don’t know if that counts as ‘onstage’. Anyways, it was for a Grey Day, I think. A song came to the front fairly early on in the show called ‘You’re Revolting’, which ended up being lovingly vocalized not only by one of my fellow DIMmers, but also the entirety of the Grey audience in a ‘call-and-repeat’ style.  There was pointing.  There was gleeful jeering.  There was me, sulking in the middle of the stage. That was just really great. Thanks Sam.  

If you could pick one person, out of the drama and entertainment industry, to have coffee with, who would it be? Dead or alive.

I’d pick Richard Curtis. He’s an amazing director and filmmaker. He’s essentially created the lovable Hugh Grant, having cast him in almost everything. I just think that he creates a great formula for British feel-good movies, he’s very innovative, and has so much to give. Curtis directed ‘Four Weddings and a Funeral’, ‘Bridget Jones’ Diary’, ‘Notting Hill’, ‘Love Actually’… all of them. ‘The Vicar of Dibley’ as well.  However predictable these movies sometimes are they just lift you up – and in this graduate world; sometimes you need a little lift.

What’s your dream job? 

My dream job is somehow working on creating original and exciting events,  preferably not on a corporate level. I don’t really like the idea of corporate, although sadly that’s where the usually money is. Creating something innovative, something involving mass participation or even something on a far more personal scale; just something highly unique.  And let’s not forget the theatrical element. Something along those lines… It’s quite fuzzy at the moment. Give me a few months!

At the same time I adored working in Zambia this year, and would love to get involved in community theatre on an international scale.  They have just so much to give – so I would love to get involved with creating a world wide base of theatre practitioners from Zambia, or from other parts of Africa, and other parts of the world.

To be honest, any job where I’m travelling, I’m not at a desk, and I’m working with inspirational people works perfectly for me!

In what ways do you think that doing theatre helped you in getting skills to pursue this path?

Theatre gives you this most amazing way with people, whether it’s through performing or directing or producing or teching. It always has to be working with people and that makes you a far more personable human being. It makes you far more easy to talk to because you’re used to talking to other people all the time. It makes you more outgoing. It gives you so much more experience on your CV. All my producing means that I’ve learned not only how to problem-solve and be quick on your feet when something goes wrong very late on in the day, but how to do it in the most calm and supportive manner so as not to freak out those around you!  Enthusiasm, organizational skills, time management, learning how to keep different parties happy: all of that jazz, I learned through doing DST. Just making sure so many different elements of one production are all working perfectly together and that’s probably, as a producer, what you’re having to focus on all of the time. That’s also something that really comes into working on projects, events, in everything really. Smiling through and keeping going and not getting stressed. That’s something I had to learn the hard way and that’s something that DST taught me.

What advice would you give to people wanting to do theatre after Uni?

For those wanting to go to drama school I’d say give it a shot because you’ll always regret that you didn’t.  Put your all in and prepare like hell for the audition.  But, always remember that drama school is not the only way to get into the Industry.  You get half a day (if you’re lucky) to wow to panel, and if they don’t see that perfect special thing they wanted to see, then your months of preparation might not have done the trick.  But, the important thing that you need to do is remember the reality of the situation.  I wish I knew a statistic of how many people apply to drama school and how many get in.  I don’t.  But you can imagine how many people want to live the dream and how many actually do.   So, never get disheartened – you might be just not exactly what they’re looking for right now for this Company; who knows. If you look at an actor like Eddie Redmayne or actress, Carey Mulligan, you will see that neither of them trained at Drama School.  Both are unbelievably successful English actors and found their own opportunities.  It’s not easy to do it; but you might as well try.

Also, remember that it’s so important not to put all your eggs in one basket, even if you’re very passionate about becoming an actor; there are so many different ways to get involved with theatre throughout your life.  Theatre in education, touring theatre production, film and TV work – there are all kinds of different theatrical environments, who would love to have you. So, if it doesn’t always work out with those auditions, don’t get yourself too worked up about it. Remember what’s important and remember that you can make your life whatever you want it to be after University. It’s hard. You have to put up with crap from all angles. You might not get what you want for five years! But it’s possible, eventually. So give it a shot.

In terms of techies. You’re just all great.  Everyone needs a good techie. Send in a good CV to every Fringe theatre in London and check Arts Jobs daily. Think about stretching to Production Managing which requires a mixture of Tech Director and Producing skills.

How would you describe, using five words, your Durham undergrad years?

Unforgettable theatrical fun with friends…