Conquering the USA

Former Palatinate Lacrosse star Jeremy Sieverts is enjoying huge success across the pond

Since graduating with a Masters Degree in Management in 2011 and helping the Palatinates to the BUCS Championship in 2010/2011, Durham Alumni Jeremy Sieverts’ career as a professional Lacrosse player has taken off in the United States. 

Ready for Battle

The attackman was named 2012 MLL (Major League Lacrosse) Most Improved Player of the Year and was elected to the 2012 MLL All Star Team. American Sieverts is credited by former team mates as one of the greatest Lacrosse players Durham has ever had. As the Assistant Head Coach of the first team, he was a crucial influence on fostering the culture of hard work and success that the team possesses.

Sieverts postponed his Lacrosse career to complete a Masters Degree in Durham University before returning home where he played for the team, Chesapeake Bayhawks before being traded to Denver Outlaws. It was here that Sieverts achieved greatness, scoring 26 goals, including seven two-point goals, in 14 games. This tally made him the MLL’s ninth-leading scorer with 40 points (including assists) and his efforts helped the Outlaws reach the MLL Championship Game, which they lost against Sieverts’ former club, Chespeake Bayhawks, at Harvard Stadium.

Here is a short feature of Sieverts’ progress since leaving Durham:

Re-lax, Lacrosse Preseason Report

With a mixture of American exports such as Sieverts and homegrown talent, Durham Men’s Lacrosse has for the last 3 years achieved unparalleled success. This culminated in a 17 goal destruction of the University of Manchester in last season’s national championship game, and in victories over the Senior Dutch National Team and the U19 equivalents of the Netherlands, Germany and England.

Ready to dominate

Whilst this might seem a tough act to follow, there is good reason to believe that this year’s incarnation of the “Purp” should be as successful as the last 3, with the team looking well placed to maintain their position as the top team in the British Isles.

Retaining one of last year’s star players, Jake Fratella, as 1st-Team Coach is a crucial aspect in the defence of this 3-year record, as his experience in BUCS and the world of British Lacrosse, allied to that of 1st Team Captain and Welsh International Andy Nicholls, will undoubtedly aid the newest players in the Durham team in adapting to their new surroundings.

Second Team

The 2nd team meanwhile has lost the vast majority of its players to graduation, including Club Captain Martin “The Pass” Anderson, and as such may well have a tougher time than they did in 2011/2012. Nonetheless they still retain a number of key players from the Conference Cup Winning Side of last year, including new Captain Benedict Gov.

They will be hoping to keep their hands upon the Cup, and also challenge for the promotion they missed out on in such cruel circumstances a year ago. Luckily they will also enjoy the fruits of the strongest Durham 3rd Team fielded since its creation two years ago.