Breaking into Fashion

ROZ WIKELEY gets the low down on working in the fashion world from Tatler big cheese, Mariella Tandy.

Mariella Tandy is the Executive Retail Editor for Tatler Magazine, working at the notorious Vogue House in central London’s Hanover Square for Conde Nast. Tall, elegant and impeccably dressed, I was initially rather intimidated by Mariella in my first few days of work experience. But any ‘devil wears prada’ semblances were quickly dispelled by a rare generosity and willingness to offer advice. Mariella was kind enough to let me interview her for The Tab, answering questions about her work and offering advice to students wanting to work in media. Trust me…. as jobs go… they really do not get a lot better than this!!

What is your job description and what does it involve (briefly) on a day-to-day basis

My job title is Executive Retail Editor. It is a multi faceted job that ensures I am continually on the go from the moment I step out of the house. I have ‘It List’ pages within the magazine which are a round up of all the newest things out there, this covers every category from the latest hotel, to the newest boots and everything in between. I am sort of a brand ambassador for the magazine and am expected to go to all of the various events that companies do, as well as doing reader Events at work. I also make sure that our advertisers are all happy and looked after with regards to credits in the magazine. I will also give trend talks and public speaking at other events for companies.

There isn’t really a typical day but It usually starts out with a breakfast meeting with a PR, or a launch of a product. I then will have more meetings and launches throughout the day and usually an event to go to in the evening. The days are long but it is all really fun.

What is the biggest perk of your job?

So many! The main perk is that I absolutely love it and I really think you are blessed in life if you can get up every day and go to something that you love.

Apart from that I get to see everything first be it the latest skincare cream, or go to a restaurant before it has opened.

I also work with really lovely people and meet incredible people who motivate me day in day out.

Where did you work before?

I have been at Tatler for 4 years now, previous to that I worked at British Vogue for 4 years and before that worked at Conde Nast in New York.

Describe your typical outfit choice for work?

That depends on the weather, but usually flat shoes or boots as I spend my day on the go. I love vintage clothing so there will usually be at least one vintage piece in my outfit. I cycle everywhere so usually take a change of shoes and extra layers in the winter.

Fave designer?

I love Stella Mccartney, Celine, Erdem and Dries Van Noten. For eveningwear you can’t beat Alessandra Rich.

Current Style crush?

So many! But presently Laura Hillman who is the Markets Editor at US Harpers Bazaar , Elin Kling (www.stylebykling.com) and two of my close friends Jessica Walsh and Erin Hazelton.

Any advice you can give Durham students keen to work in the industry?

Work, work , work. Get as much experience as you can from a really young age. Also take any job that you are offered. If a PA role comes up at a magazine but you always wanted to be a writer, take it. The more experience you have the better. You may think that two years is a long time to do something that isn’t perfectly suited to what you want but you will look back and it will seem like no time at all.