Durham’s Golden Girl

Durham student Lily van den Broeke on winning a gold medal at London 2012.

Second year PPE student and GB Cox Lily van den Broeke celebrated winning a gold medal in this summer’s iconic Paralympic games. The Castle student led the legs, trunks and arms (LTA) mixed coxed four to victory in the final at Eton Dorney earlier this month.

Despite an equipment failure in the warm-up, Lily kept her cool and, in a sensational final race, she and her teammates Pamela Relph, Naomi Riches, Dave Smith and James Roe, remained ahead of their competitors from halfway and finished with a time of 3:19.38, beating their German rivals by over two seconds.

In an interview with The Tab, Lily describes her Paralympic experience, her plans for this year, and some unusual guilty pleasures…

1. How was it being away from family and friends so much during training?

Some would think Facebook is a blessing but it becomes quite a curse when I first started leaving Durham for fortnight long training camps, not to mention not returning at all in the third term! Thankfully 9 years of the sport, 5 of which I’ve competed internationally, does make you as immune as you possibly can be to missing those who mean so much to you. This year definitely challenged that immunity though.

2. How do you gear up mentally before a race?

In the moments before we boat it’s important I’m hyper-focused but also relaxed and confident. Music really aided me in finding this complicated balance! I also use film sequences that I really enjoy and that empower me, and run them through my head. Quentin Tarantino’s Kill Bill seems to work best!

3. What is your favourite motivation music?

Such a hard question as music is so important to me. Sometimes I’m so psyched-up I need to chill myself out, and other times I feel as though I’m too relaxed. At the Paralympics the lyrics to 212 by Azealia Banks put be in the mindset of being at my most competitive. “What you going to do when I appear, when I premier? Bitch, the ends of your lives are near … This shit’s been mine”. I’m not all that naturally competitive so it takes some expletives to get me going! Instrumentally wise, Charly Wingate by Ryan Hemsworth was on repeat that week.

4. What was your lowest point during training?

In November I really struggled with balancing Durham with Rowing. Whereas Durham is full of like minded young students where my only responsibility was myself, the world of Rowing demands that I get the best out of four individuals, one of whom is 15 years older than myself, as well as being the middle man between the crew and coach. It confused me immensely and I lost touch with myself and became quite spiteful. In the end my coxing suffered and when it got to that point I realised things had to change.

In action

5. What will be your lasting memory of the Games?

That disability doesn’t impair, it can enable. I hope the World sees people for who they are now and not the disability that may have once defined their being.

6. How are you finding your new found fame?

Pretty low-key! Getting a few free drinks out of the medal and being invited to smart occasions is good fun, but I expect it will die off soon!

7. Have you been stopped in the street?

Yes, and in the loo of a pub which was a bit bizarre.

8. Are you excited to just be a student again this year?

Absolutely, that’s the thought that’s been getting through the low moments. I love Durham and I just want to get stuck into Uni life, whereas last year I felt like I was external to the normal life of a student – now I can throw myself in!

9. What is your guilty pleasure?

My stomach has shrunk after years of coxing, I’m sure of it. So thankfully I can enjoy eating and getting stuffed still! I still have a teddy bear. Stuffed dog actually, called Spaniel, who I can’t sleep well without. And I quite like real stuffed animals, making me the worst vegetarian ever. Our house in Durham has one stuffed weasel and five stuffed ducklings to date.

10. Please will you cox for UCBC this year?!

Maybe … after a year’s break. Walking feels weirder than being in a boat right now – I need a bit of time out!