Durham Sportswomen Carry The Torch For Olympics

A proud moment for Durham’s sporting finest

Olympics Sport

Three lucky Durham University sportswomen have been recently confirmed as official torchbearers for the Olympic Games.

This June, 8,000 torchbearers will be embarking on a 70-day journey across the UK, touring over 1,000 cities, towns and villages, including County Durham.

Durham students, Steph Eliot, Naomi Hoogesteger and Kira Roberts who have represented Great Britain in their respective sports of Hockey, Rowing and Fencing are set to carry the torch through Durham on Sunday 17 June.

Eliot, who is studying for a Bachelor of Arts degree in Sport at Durham University’s Queen’s Campus, remarked,"I can’t believe that I was even considered to carry the Olympic Torch, but I’ll hopefully manage it without any embarrassment!”

The three rising sportswomen were given the honour thanks to a nomination from the University in partnership with the Games’ official partner, Samsung.

All three women, who compete on the national and international stages as well as represent Durham University, are currently combining their studies and work with their sporting careers. Steph and Kira are both full-time students whilst Naomi studies part-time in addition to a teaching post at the University.

The athletes represent the outstanding quality of women’s sport at Durham University, which is ranked first in the British Universities and Colleges Sport league table, beating competitors such as Loughborough, Leeds Met and Bath universities to the top spot.

Elliot commented, “Throughout my time at Durham University, not once did I ever think I would be captaining the University side, playing for England U-21s or carrying the Olympic Torch, ever. It’s down to the help of everyone around me, my family, friends and coach, who have really pushed me to achieve these things. "