Another One Bites The Dust

Another Durham nightlife mainstay falls by the wayside

academy bust durham live lounge

The death knell tolled for yet another Durham nightspot this weekend as Durham Live Lounge was forced to close its doors.

The owners of the Live Lounge, the club more commonly known as Academy, are understood to have been unable to continue with such burdensome rents and overheads when they could only rely one student night of note for revenue.

Olly Durell of Absolute Life, who helped to run the profitable Saturday night, pointed out that 'there was also not enough local business to maintain a profit margin.'

'It's a sad development as it was a unique venue in Durham and certainly a good place for a night out'

This closure is symptomatic of the malaise that has spread amongst clubs in Durham, with both Klute and Studio having both closed and re-opened under new management in recent months.

Whether there are any parties interested in taking over the reigns at Academy remains unclear, but Durell warns that 'the closing down of nightclubs only typifies the trouble the nightclub industry is in, and will continue to be in, for the near future.'

It is certainly no great advert for Durham as a University town, having for many years been dogged by allegations of being a frustratingly placid place to undertake a degree.

What do you think of this most recent closure? Comment Below…