DURFC’s Road To Twickenham

The One looks back at Durham 1st XV’s BUCS Cup run as they reach the final at Twickenham for the second year running

1's BUCS Cup final durham rugby Twickenham

On Wednesday March 28th history beckons to the DURFC 1st XV as the Palatinate Army march onto the green fields of Twickenham in search of an historic second consecutive victory in the BUCS final. 

Lining up against them will be Hartpury who, according to sources, are guaranteed to have a few beefeaters in their ranks and are currently ranked second place in the Premier South. 

However, as our boys will know well, there are no prizes for second come judgement day and Durham's Head of Rugby Alex Keay believes the 1's have a good chance of winning the title again. "This team is capable of playing a wide game with an ability to score at the end of it, which will suit the Twickehnam pitch", he commented. 

Last year, the crowd played their role admirably as the proverbial 'extra man' and the 1's will need similar backing if they are to push UWE to the wire. The team have asked that crowd members don their finest purple attire to create a Palatinate sea in the Twickenham stands which only Moses could part. 

So put down that Wii controller and come out to support our boys this Wednesday. Last year did not fail to disappoint and, with the current crop of players, this year certainly will not. 

Kick off: 3pm on March 28th at Twickenham

Price: £5 a ticket (can be bought on the gate and access to Twickenham's Rose Room for Durham supporters)

Durham’s 2nd XV are also in action on March 28th at 11am in the BUCS Trophy final against UWE at Richmond Rugby Club. This is only a short walk away from Twickenham, meaning supporters can get to both games on the day.

For more information about Finals Day visit www.durfc.co.uk

DURFC's Road to the Final

Last 16
Durham 1st XV 77 – 12 Edinburgh 1st XV (1/2/12)

DURFC’s BUCS Cup campaign started with a comfortable first round victory as they cruised past an Edinburgh side in the league below, posting their biggest score of the season.

Quarter Final
Durham 1st XV 10 – 6 Cardiff 1st XV (15/2/12)

DURFC’s quarter-final match was a very close encounter, with Cardiff pushing the 1’s all the way.

Durham started the game brightly, as they scored the only try of the game in the first-half when a half break from Tom Shiel saw Mike Ward offload to winger David Haigh who smashed aside three would-be tacklers to score for the palatinates.

A conversion and penalty from Mike Ward saw Durham go into the break with a 10-3 lead.

Cardiff came out flying in the second half though, scoring a quick penalty before applying constant pressure onto the Durham back line.

In the last 10 minutes Durham were penned in their half as Cardiff pressed for a last minute winning try, but the Palatinates held out to reach the semi finals.

Semi Final
Durham 1st XV 18 – 12 Bath 1st XV (7/3/12)

With Bath at the top of the Premier South the 1’s knew they were always in for a tough game.

Durham started the game strongly, managing to grab an early try when good work from the front row of the scrum with Ollie McCollum, Fred Stonell and Adam Carson allowed Harrison Collins to dot the ball down for the first try of the match. Mike Ward converted and Durham were 10-0 up.

The 1’s were on a roll and their second try came just moments later when a great take from Collins at the lineout put Josh Beaumont into some space, before the ball was offloaded to flanker Jack Pattinson to crash over from short range.

This left Durham to go into the half time break with an impressive 15-3 lead.

However, the second half was a different affair, as Bath managed to score a converted try and a penalty to put them within just 6 points of the Palatinates with 20 minutes to go.

Durham managed to grind the game out though to secure a trip to Twickenham for the second year running.