All the results here

Dallas storms to victory

DSU elections

Archie Dallas storms to the DSU Presidency after winning more votes that all other candidates combined.

Archie Dallas has won by more than 1,800 votes, getting 2,554 in total.
Ian Williamson his closest rival got just 690 votes. Broxham achieved 501, marginally higher than Woodhams’s 420 votes.

100 voters opted for RON a stalwart of student elections. One perplexed fresher noted “people say RON has been about for years but he doesn’t seem to know many people if he only got 100 votes”.

‘Barack’ Dallas as some have already nicknamed him canvassed solidly throughout and used his role as DUCK Officer during the 2011-2012 academic year to great networking effect.

Jack Snowden, was happy with the result “Archie won because students believe in him. It’s a much better result than last year when money bags Mike King paid his way into the role”

Runner-up Ian Williamson’s quoted Nero’s last words before the Italian committed suicide, upon defeat “qualex artifex pereo” which means ‘what an artist dies in me’.

Rob Blackwell, who overheard the quote, commented “Latin? Shows he is out of touch”

Other Results

The closest result of the night was the vote for Student Development Officer.

It looked like Alassane Ouattara's v Laurent Gbagbo from the Ivory Coast as neither could achieve the necessary quota.

The contest went to a second round which saw Jim Elliott scrape in with 1,616 to Beth Fraser’s 1,577.

Mr Elliot’s key policy is to set up a Societies Committee so that each society can represent their views to the Students’ Union.

The race for DUCK Officer was also a very close affair. Carmen O’Loughlin took the gong by just over 400 votes. The runner-up Sally Holt achieved an impressive 1,678 votes.

Jenny James, ran against the ever present RON for the position of Education and Welfare Officer, beating the veteran by 3,244 to 272.

Although turnout was up by just 0.3 % overall, the number of voters in the three contested elections were significantly higher rising from 17,897 in 2011 to 18,328 in 2012. However, the number of eligible voters, rose by 2%.

Trevelyan College and St Chad’s College had the highest voter turnout with 72% and 52% turnout respectively.

Both Chad’s and Trevs had candidates running in the elections which probably explains the high turnout.

St Cuthbert’s proved the most apathetic with just a 17% percentage turnout.

The average turnout across all colleges was 30%, up very slightly on the 2011 average of 29%.