Celebrities at Durham Event

A preview of a star-studded Durham event

Carols of Light Cathedral durham

Tomorrow night sees a whole raft of celebrities turn out for a concert being held at Durham Cathedral. Tickets are sold out for the Carols of Light event tomorrow night, which is in aid of the Sunderland Football Club’s Foundation.

The charity’s patron, Sophie, Countess of Wessex, will be attending the event, along with fellow Sunderland luminaries such as ex-chairman Niall Quinn and David Miliband, who has a seat on the board. First team players from the Sunderland team will also be present.

The event will also be raising money for the Durham Cathedral Music Endowment Fund, and as such has attracted famous musical names, including future-Chancellor Sir Thomas Allen. Attending along with the Chancellor will be musical luminaries such as X Factor winner Joe McElderry, Rick Wakeman, the Futureheads and world-famous lyricist Sir Tim Rice, as well as other celebrities, such as former world-champion runner Steve Cram and broadcaster Kate Adie.

The concert will be presenting musical talent from across the North East, with performances from the famous Durham Cathedral Choristers, Durham Cathedral Young Singers and Monkwearmouth Salvation Army Band. Reaction to the event has been overwhelmingly positive, with tickets selling out incredibly quickly. Event organiser Carolyn Ramsbotham had this to say;

‘We’re overjoyed with the level of support that we’ve received for this event and we certainly didn’t expect to sell out so far in advance… We hope to give our guests a top class evening of entertainment that will well and truly put them in the festive spirit.’

Of course, all proceeds will go to a worthy course, aiding the work of both the SAFC Foundation and Durham Cathedral’s Musical Outreach Programme, who both work with tens of thousands of young children each year, all over the North East.