Sport Stereotype: A member of the ‘Durham Divas’

The One brings you Durham Divas stereotype

cheerleaders controversial durham divas sports stereotypes

EDITOR'S NOTE: Due to the heated debate this article has generated, The One would like to point out that this piece is not intended to offend. The Durham Divas are undoubtedly hard working and skilled in what they do, and this article is merely intended to provide a bit of levity when talking about a certain sports club (as has recently been done with the equally dedicated rugby, football and lacrosse teams). If you'd like to learn more about the divas, check out their website at www.freewebs.com/durhamdivas.

Here is the next instalment of "sports" stereotypes: your very own Durham Diva. As ever, we have our stereotype rater at the bottom. Rate 5 if you've met this person, 1 if you think it's balderdash.

Most likely to spend their time: making random, embarrassing appearances around Durham. This is England, not America.

Most likely to be wearing: their sexy little number…

Most likely to be eating: Nothing. (No one wants to be put at the bottom of the pyramid.)

Most likely to be drinking: a lot of fluid to replace all that is lost in sweat. It is a highly intense and tiring sport.

Most likely college to be in: John Snow.

Most likely to be reading: upside down.

Most likely item to grab in a fire: Their pompoms.

Most likely chat up line: ‘I am a DD’

Most likely to get away with: charging people to hire them for private events! (if you fancy having them at your 21st, see their website www.freewebs.com/durhamdivas for more details )

Most likely school to have attended: Good schools don’t have cheer squads.

Most likely relationship status: ‘It’s Complicated’ with a member of the Saints American football team. Yes. We have an American football team. Of sorts.

Most likely to be out on a: ……..? Has anyone ever seen a DD social?

Most likely place to be found on a night out: straddling their 'Saint' on a sofa in one of the booths in Studio. They say practice makes perfect.

Most likely quote: ‘We are professional athletes. Why do we get no funding from the University? '

Most likely song to have on their iPOD: The ‘Bring it On’ Soundtrack, ‘I'm sexy, I'm cute, I'm popular to boot…’

Most likely to be studying: One of the Stockton specialities.

Most likely to refuse to: abstain from participating in the half time performance at Durham’s charity rugby game despite the inevitable assault on their dignity

Most likely to be kicked out of the club for: forgetting the routine mid performance. Now THAT would be embarrassing…