DURFC in Strong Start to 2012

Durham 2’s and 3’s record big wins as they both look towards league titles

2's 3's durham league rugby

Manchester 1st XV 8 – Durham 2nd XV 48

The 2’s travelled to Manchester on Wednesday to face a potentially difficult opposition who had a 100% home record in the league going into the game.

After a close encounter in Durham at the start of the season, with the 2’s edging Manchester 18-10, the team was weary of the threat they posed.

Durham’s best form had come on the road though, with three wins out of three, so the 2’s went into the game full of confidence.

This confidence showed as they were quick to stamp an air of authority on the game, with four tries in the first half. The second half saw more of the same with Durham running in 3 more tries to put themselves three points clear at the top of the table.

Durham 3rd XV 52 – Northumbria 2nd XV 25

Durham’s 3rd XV started this term as it ended the last, with a comfortable win and some flashes of scintillating rugby, which hinted at the team’s potential.

After beating Northumbria 30 – 8 away from home at the start of the season, Durham saw this game as a perfect opportunity to put a big score on the board to kickstart their rise from 2nd in the table. 

After Fergie’s churchillian pre-match speech Durham always looked in control and confirmed this dominance with some exceptional running rugby, with Max Jerzieski on fire in the centre and Gower outpacing the Northumbria full-back to score from the halfway line.

In reality, the final score didn’t not reflect the gulf in class between the two teams, due mainly to the strength of the Northumbria scrum.

Nevertheless the style of rugby produced after the Christmas break bodes well as Durham’s 3rd XV look to challenge Bishop Burton for the league title, as they moved to just three points away from the league leaders.