Something Fishy Is Going On At Durham

WILLIAM SUMMERLIN reports on an exciting new university initiative

durham fish puns sustainable

There’s no trout about it; Durham University is making waves in the world of catering.

We recently battered the opposition to take our plaice as the first independently-catered UK University to offer its students sustainable fish.

While you might think that this is just a load of old pollocks, fish has long been recommended for its health benefits and some suggest that oily fish improve blood flow to the brain, although scientists still debait this.

Shona Millar, Head of University and Colleges Catering, said: “We are delighted to gain this certification, as it demonstrates our ongoing commitment to sustainable sourcing of wild fish.

She carped on, “It’s important to us, our students, staff and guests that we produce quality food which is sustainable and has demonstrable provenance“.

It is a policy that The One will throw its full weight behind, as this publication thinks it’s a fantastic op-perch-tuna-ty to prove the University’s eco credentials.

Indeed, you don’t need to be a brain sturgeon to realise that this is a brill scheme. While other universities flounder in our hake, all 16 of our colleges can sample the delicious fish.

Among the first students to try the sustainable fish was David Hynes, who is the environmental representative for Van Pilchard College at Durham University

“Even if students haven’t thought about the issue before, they will become aware of it when they are served sustainable fish and see the information about it, which will help to raise awareness.”

Not wishing to skate round the issue, Hynes added that “Students are becoming more aware of environmental issues and I think it’s great that the university is committed to serving fish from sustainable sources”

Rumours that former Manchester United star and current Cuths fresher Oliver Gill is to be the ambassador for the scheme are unconfirmed.

One Hatfield fresher said “I think it’s fantastic that the University is shoaldering some responsibility for the environment. For eco-warriors, it’s the stuff breams are made of”

Coming at it from a completely different angler, Alex Easdale, a third year Hild Bede student, commented “I hope the university really believes in this policy and aren’t pursuing it just for the halibut. It’s an awful lot of squid to spend on a publicity stunt”

It is a policy that is sure to inspire conversation, and the student body will have to mullet over.

So for those of you who live in college, get down off your perch, turn off the internet prawn and sample Durham University’s sustainable fish.