Abertay LGBT president found dead

Tributes flooded in through social media

abertay campaigner danielle robins death lgbt transgender

Tributes have poured in for a popular transgender activist died suddenly on Sunday.

The 21-year-old Abertay computing student Danielle Robins was a well known equality campaigner and president of the university LGBT society.

She was found dead in her Dundee city centre flat. Tributes poured in through social media for the tireless equal rights activist.

Devastated mum Cath Ollenberg wrote: “You were my son, my daughter, my friend… but most of all you were my baby child.

“I can’t imagine life without you in it… my hope and prayer is that you found your happiness and may you rest in peace.

“My heart hurts so much I am so proud of all you achieved in your short life. Goodnight my sweetpea, you took a piece of my heart with you so we will never be apart.”

Danielle robins

Danielle Robins

Heartbroken Dad Keith Robins added: “My beautiful, beautiful daughter. I love you so much. Sleep peacefully, nothing and no-one can hurt you now xxx.”

Just two weeks before Danielle, who lived at The Old Mill, spoke about her positive experience of being transgender in Dundee.

She told the Evening Telegraph: “Everybody I’ve met has been tolerant and respectful.

“I’m lucky to have family, friends and a girlfriend who all support me This has led to me fully embracing my sexuality and gender identity.”

An Abertay university spokesman said: “The Abertay community is very sad to hear of the death of computing student Danielle Robins.

“She was an active and popular president of Abertay Students Association’s LGBT society, fully committed to eliminating prejudice and creating a fairer, more tolerant society.

“The university shares these ideals and regards Danielle’s untimely death as a great loss, given the ambitious plans she had recently announced for tackling prejudice and discrimination in Dundee.

“We are ready to provide her friends and colleagues with whatever support and counselling we can at this very sad time.”

A Police Scotland spokeswoman said: “We can confirm that officers attended at an address in Brown Street, Dundee on Sunday July 26 in relation to the sudden death of a 21-year-old woman.

“As with all sudden deaths a report has been submitted to the procurator fiscal.”