The anonymous racism on Paddy’s Day wasn’t funny or clever

Just plain wrong

Perhaps the most popular and busy night of the year at DUSA, St. Paddy’s all day party brought a lot of laughs, alcohol, dancing, snogging, junk food and miscellaneous shenanigans.

The event was captured on camera and subsequently plastered all over social media through the medium of Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat and the reasonably new Yik Yak.

It’s good to see there are other people who get it. The uni struggle is real and we all feel it.

But there’s something just a little unsettling about the way you can say anything and nobody ever know it’s you. I won’t get into the psychology of it all.

Anonymity gives people the freedom to say anything they like, as offensively as they like without the fear of persecution or repercussion that would prevent them from saying the same thing normally when they can be help accountable.

IMG_0471IMG_0472

Joking aside, we’re at University now. We’re an educated community supposedly, which begs the question: Why is it ok to publicly denounce a religion (or race or sexual orientation etc.) so publicly, even anonymously?

The mask goes on, the claws come out – and not in the harmlessly sassy way.

Race, gender, religion, sexual preference, political affiliation or whatever else, your opinion is yours and no one can take that away from you. Chances are though, if it’s something you’re only comfortable saying anonymously, it’s probably something you shouldn’t be saying at all.