Coventry Uni is postponing graduations because of the coronavirus outbreak

The university have sent out emails confirming the news

Coventry University has confirmed that graduation ceremonies held between March and April will be postponed due to the coronavirus outbreak.

This comes after the first case of coronavirus in Coventry was confirmed yesterday.

The university published the news online as well as sending emails to students and explaining the situation.

The statement reads: “In light of the ongoing uncertainty created by the COVID-19 outbreak and it’s spread in the UK, we have taken the decision so suspend all graduation ceremonies scheduled to be held in March and April 2020.

“This decision has not been taken lightly – we know how important graduations are to our graduates and their families – but we must prioritise the health and safety of our students, staff and the communities where we are located.

“Current advice around mass gatherings is subject to continual review by the government and Public Health England, and we think it sensible to act now in order to give graduates and their guests as much notice as possible”.

To replace the ceremonies, awards are to be conferred administratively and certificates will be posted to home addresses. The university urges student due to graduate this spring to check their address details are up-to-date.

Dates are to be organised and circulated in due course for formal celebrations so that those affected won’t miss out on the graduation experience.

We will update you on this story as we get more information.