Image may contain: Clock Tower, Bell Tower, Town, City, Urban, Dome, Person, Human, Tower, Architecture, Building

Coventry University are opening a new campus in Morocco

They’re the first UK university to open campus in Morocco

Coventry University is set to open a campus in Morocco after talks with the UK-Morocco Higher Education Commission last week.

The Superior Institution of Science and Technology (SIST) will invest £14 million for new campus, which is going to be located in the city of Casablanca, in Morocco.

This makes Casablanca Coventry's third additional campus location to date. Other campuses aside from Coventry include London and Scarborough.

Professor John Latham, Vice-Chancellor of Coventry University, said the partnership with SIST would “give us our first strong relationship with a Moroccan institution”.

Tariq Obaid, president of SIST, added that the partnership “has potential to deliver great benefits to our two institutions while contributing immensely to Morocco’s human resources development”.

At the campus, the focus will be on providing teacher training and courses in business, science and technology. Prof Lantham said: “Our partnership with SIST will give us our first strong relationship with a Moroccan institution, particularly around science and technology and teacher training. We’re also looking at partnerships in nurse training and nurse education and exploring links around research, especially water security and food security."

Expectations are to provide education for thousands of students and increase opportunities for teaching, research and student mobility In Morocco over the coming years.

Tony Reilly, country director at the British Council, said Coventry University “is one of the UK’s most dynamic and positively entrepreneurial universities”.

He added: “They do great things, always in partnership, and always aiming to make a difference for the students who enrol on their programmes here in the UK and around the world”.