Image may contain: Campus, Clock Tower, Building, Architecture, Tower, Grass, Plant

Window smashed in Coventry Cathedral break-in

Collection money is also believed to be stolen

Two people are believed to have broken into Coventry Cathedral on the night of Thursday 23rd January.

An angel, which was located on the Cathedral's West Screen, and designed by John Hutton, has been smashed.

The thieves are believed to have taken donated money although the exact amount has not yet been confirmed.

A post was shared by the Facebook page Spotted Coventry City this morning with the news.

Coventry Cathedral:We have some unfortunate news to report this morning. One of the Angels on our West Screen,…

Posted by Spotted Coventry City on Friday, January 24, 2020

The post says: "We have some unfortunate news to report this morning. One of the Angels on our West Screen, designed by John Hutton, was smashed on the night of Thursday 23 January during a break-in by what appears to have been two people."

"Dean John said: 'We are appalled by the damage to one of Coventry's best loved buildings last night. The magnificent glass West Screen of the Cathedral frames the view in and out of the building and the carvings of saints and angels inspire all who see them. We are pleased that a recent government grant enabled us to install CCTV cameras throughout the site and we will be examining footage of the evening to identify those responsible.'"

Coventry Cathedral is very cherished by Coventry Uni as their annual graduations take place there.

Luckily the Cathedral staff are able to look through CCTV footage which was recently installed after they received a government grant.

West Midlands Police have commented on this incident: "We are investigating a burglary just before 11:30pm last night (Thursday 23 January) at Coventry Cathedral. Inquiries on-going."

If anyone knows any information about this incident, please contact West Midlands Police ASAP.

We will update you on this story when we have more information.