Image may contain: Pants, Shoe, Clothing, Footwear, Apparel, Person, Human

Muslim students forced to pray outside due to lack of space

Discussions between ISOC and the university

Images have surfaced of Muslim students forced to pray outside the George Elliot building due to a lack of space at Coventry University.

The students are carrying out Jumma, a mandatory prayer for followers of Islam on Fridays.

A Coventry University graduate posted the video online showing dozens of muslim men carrying out Jumma while lining the streets outside the Charles Ward building.

You can view the video on The Coventry Tab's Instagram

There are over 1000 muslim students who attend Coventry University. ISOC society are the people who arrange the Friday Jumma proceedings.

A senior source within ISOC told The Coventry Tab "We can expect on average 400 to 500 people to attend so we book out Priory Hall"

"There are times when that is booked out. So if we don't get priory we book Charles Ward which can only fit about 80 to 100 people."

"Whether you're scholar or not Jumma is something you have to do. It's obligatory for muslim people."

Image may contain: Transportation, Automobile, Car, Vehicle, Clothing, Footwear, Apparel, Shoe, Human, Person

Credit: @ZamaanMagician

"We have had meetings with CUSU and they've been very helpful and informative with us. This is an issue of facilities the university has as logically speaking they don't have the facilities to cater to four to five hundred students."

"We've had very productive meetings with a representative for the vice chancellor. It was very productive she's taken on board many of our issues. We as a society totally understand this is an issue with facilities and we do appreciate the effort that is being put in."

A Coventry University spokesperson said: “Senior staff had a positive and productive meeting with members of the Islamic Society and Coventry University Students' Union."

“We were able to confirm arrangements have been made for Priory Sports Hall to be available for Friday Prayers today (November 29) and next week (December 6) and that we are committed to working together to find a suitable solution."

Image may contain: Pants, Footwear, Shoe, Crowd, Apparel, Clothing, Human, Person

Credit: @ZamaanMagician

“The sports hall is generally made available for the hundreds of students and members of the community who take part in Friday Prayers but this large space is in high demand, particularly during graduations and exam periods."

"There are no mosques close enough to campus but we do provide facilities such as prayer rooms for people of all faiths in our Charles Ward building and The Hub, in addition to the regular use of the Priory Sports Hall for Friday Prayers."