Council approves student halls 13 minutes away from Cov campus

The apartment block will house 32 students

Hide Images

Coventry City Council has approved the demolition of a vacant office building for new student accommodation for Coventry University.

The council claims roughly 38,000 students require accommodation in Coventry, making it one of the fastest growing hubs for student life.

The proposed 32-bed apartment block will be replacing 16a Queen’s Road. A standard apartment will include a kitchenette, an en-suite bathroom, a bedroom, and a small dining area. Six permanent parking spaces and 16 cycle spaces will also be provided.

The new block along Queens Road will be near popular student spots such as The Aardvark Pub and JJ’s will be located beside Liberty Park, another accommodation complex which houses both Coventry and Warwick students.

A representative for Coventry City council said: "There are approximately 38,000 students requiring accommodation within Coventry.

“Accommodation which is purpose-built offers students a choice and provides an alternative to living in private rented homes.

"It reduces pressures on residential homes that might otherwise be occupied by students.

"This area is particularly popular with students and many of the nearby buildings have been converted into student flats.

"Therefore this location is ideal for student accommodation."

According to a live poll on The Coventry Telegraph, 72 per cent of Coventry readers believe there is too much student accommodation in Coventry already.

An additional six complexes are planned to open in September providing living quarters for over 2,000 incoming students.

Featured image credit: DeFacto via Wikimedia Commons