Image may contain: Female, Chair, Beer Glass, Accessory, Sunglasses, Accessories, Food, Food Court, Dining Table, Table, Furniture, Glass, Drink, Alcohol, Beer, Beverage, Restaurant, Pub, Bar Counter, Person, Human

Everything you experience when you visit your mate at a more fun uni than Cov

There’s nowhere like Cov though, let’s be honest

It’s a month or two into the term, you’re somehow simultaneously bored and stressed and the real withdrawal symptoms from your childhood bestie have kicked in.

What do you do? Buy a train ticket. Plan a wicked night out. Buy a new outfit just to really flex your newfound uni bod and set aside all uni responsibilities. It’s a rite of passage and if you’ve not already been to see one friend this year then they aren’t really your friends.

Coventry isn’t exactly the most notorious for those sick uni nights out that you imagined when you also applied to Manchester and Leeds BUT you’re here now and have come to terms with it. Easiest way to make sure you don’t fall flat on those experiences is to use and abuse the fact your mates DO have access to those type of mass student club takeovers.

So, here’s a list of all the feels while you’re trespassing enemy campuses up and down the country.

You regret packing so much every single time

Image may contain: Home Decor, Female, Dress, Door, Person, Human, Pants, Clothing, Apparel

A pic speaks a thousand words really

All those options seemed very, very necessary when you didn’t know what anyone else was going to be wearing. I can guarantee you when you’re having to lug a suitcase filled with three different shoe options and six near identical tops that you will realise you’re still gonna wear your trusty combo that you’ve rocked nearly every weekend in Cov. It never changes.

You always realise your mistake as soon as you try and carry it all through the aisle. Or even worse – if you have to navigate the London Underground. That’s already stressful enough, let alone with a suitcase and a bag on your shoulder. A backpack seems like the safe option but risks constantly being trapped in the doors. Everyone will hate you just as much as you hate yourself.

You somehow get way more drunk than you usually do

I would say it’s only fair to factor in drinking more (much more) to compensate not knowing anyone. It is definitely something we’ve all done. Especially when your in entirely new surroundings and you have no idea how good this night out is going to be.

We all know our “ready to go out” level is different for every club, meaning the only way to ensure you’re going to enjoy this night is to be blackout drunk before you’ve even finished your first drinking game. Sometimes a great shout, sometimes you’ve completely fucked it tbh.

Once you’ve finally broken the ice and become friendly with your new found ride or dies, you will end up agreeing to go to the bar that literally everybody else they know will be at. Beware, though, the second you step into that club you will know no one but the squad you’re with knows everyone. And they won’t cut any conversations short due to your presence. So practice your nodding.

Realising that a Megabus is way cheaper than a train, and not that uncomfortable

https://twitter.com/Russ_M7/status/1103666478522486784

I spent the majority of my first year thinking I was sick with my cheap train travel thanks to my 16-25 railcard. What I did not know however was that I could’ve saved an average of around about £267 (true story I did the math) had I just gotten a Megabus instead. Only Megabus, never fuck with National Express it’s just not worth it.

If like me, your friends are a tad selfish and have decided to go to uni really far away (how RUDE of them) then take one thing away from this article: trains are great and yeah they’re fast, but you will very much appreciate the extra money still in your account after opting for a coach. Makes up for all those extra bevs you’ll be ingesting.

Getting to hear all the embarrassing shit your mates have been up to

Image may contain: Wine, Wine Glass, Dating, Beer, Pub, Bar Counter, Alcohol, Drink, Beverage, Glass, Human, Person

The tea was spilled

My friends tend to lead pretty tragic but funny lives, and we tell each other everything, or so I thought until various course mates and flatmates of said friends started to spill the beans on ALL the embarrassing moments that had occurred during term time.

It’s one of the best things about visiting your friends at their respective unis. Not only getting to meet all the new and wonderful people in their lives but knowing that together, we have witnessed every moment of “oh fucking hell” that person has to offer. The stories are endless and they’ll never get old – mainly because we refuse to let them live it down.

Realising that Cov nightlife really needs to up its game

Image may contain: Photo, Portrait, Photography, Night Club, Head, Club, Night Life, Party, Face, Human, Person

No matter where you go in Britain, all clubs are sweaty af

So when you go to literally any other student city you kind of realise that Cov clubs are just a little bit shit. Despite all this, your night will be wicked. Every other city seems to have a numerous collection of places to go, any night of the week and it will always be pretty live.

It makes you think: “Why can’t Coventry be like this?” and you start brainstorming all the ways you can personally change the nightlife scene in Cov and make it just as good. Newsflash – could you even imagine a Pryzm in Cov? It just wouldn’t work, because why fix something that’s not broken. Not everywhere needs a Pryzm. But either way, it would still be nice to have a club that you can get a VIP booth at and not feel cringe af.

Overall by the time the two day hangover has worn off and you’re back in the comfort of your own bed, you realise the whole thing has been a bit of a rollercoaster. But a rollercoaster you get back on again and again and again.

Exploring different cities is way more fun than sitting at home all weekend – you’re Cov the whole week anyway. Plus, once you’ve finally managed to clear your head and see your best mates you might eventually find the motivation to keep on going and secure that degree.

If I was to recommend anything, it’d be to treat your self, go that little bit deeper into your overdraft and book a ticket to go and see your bestie. Like now. You won’t regret it.