Image may contain: Crowd, Dinosaur, Reptile, Head, Statue, Sculpture, Bird, Animal, Art

Giant Knife Angel sculpture graces Coventry Cathedral

It’s made of 100,000 confiscated knives

A 27-foot high sculpture made of 100,000 confiscated knives arrived at Coventry Cathedral at around 9am yesterday morning.

The Knife Angel, created by artist Alfie Bradley and commissioned by the British Ironwork Centre, is designed to be a physical reminder of the devastating effects of violence.

Before coming to Cov, the angel visited Liverpool and Hull. The scheme that bought it here has been supported by the Coventry City of Culture Trust, Coventry Cathedral, Coventry City Council, Coventry Police and the European City of Sport 2019 initiative.

Image may contain: Animal, Bird, Pants, Metropolis, Architecture, Sphere, Downtown, City, Town, Clothing, Apparel, Neighborhood, Urban, Building, Person, Human

It took four years to build, and is made using weapons collected from knife banks from police forces all over the country.

With cuts to policing, violent crime is increasing nationally, and Coventry in particular has seen a few high-profile stabbings as of recent, including the stabbing of a 20-year-old in Godiva halls just last week.

This meaningful reminder of the consequences of aggression comes at a time of "national crisis", as described by Councillor Ed Ruane, Cabinet Member for Housing and Communities.

Councillor Ruane, who was instrumental in bringing the angel to Coventry, went onto say: "It’s no surprise that while public sector agencies are being given less funding violent crime is increasing.

"I don’t know why this should surprise any of us. That’s why I was so keen to bring the Knife Angel to Coventry and I’m delighted that we have had overwhelming support from the city to help make it happen and we are grateful to the British Ironwork Centre for loaning it to us.

"All of us want the Angel to have a positive impact. We need to change this nationwide trend of knife violence. I personally am sick and tired of the government’s complacency. As a city we need to put pressure on the government to find a long lasting solution to this.”

The knife angel will remain in front of Coventry Cathedral until April 23rd.

Do you have any pictures of The Knife Angel? Send them to The Coventry Tab Instagram and we'll feature you!