Image may contain: Kid, Blonde, Girl, Teen, Child, Poster, People, Woman, Advertisement, Female, Smile, Face, Human, Person, Denim, Jeans, Pants, Clothing, Apparel

Here’s everything you need to know about getting tested for STIs at Cov uni

Let’s talk about sex…ual health baby!

#student

Did you know that Coventry has one of the highest rates for diagnosing a person with an STI or STD? Plus, if you talk to a sexual health nurse, they'll tell you themselves that there's an especially high rate of people with HIV in Coventry.

Also if you are between the ages of 15-24 you have an even higher chance of catching an STI than on average, which is why us Cov uni students need to be talking about STIs, staying safe and getting regularly tested.

Plus, there's loads about STIs that we don't even know about. Like, for instance, did you know that you can get an STD even if you're a virgin? If two virgins were to have unprotected anal sex it can actually potentially create an STD, such as herpes. Crazy, right?

It’s a misconception that catching an STI means you’ve slept with loads of people. But, if you are hopping all over Cov having unprotected sex, this article is even more important for you, so get reading!

The first step to being safe – get tested

Image may contain: Face, Clothing, Apparel, Paper, Flyer, Brochure, Advertisement, Poster, Person, Human

Let's reinvent posing with your driving test to posing with your STI test

The Hub's GP gives out free condoms and offers some sexual health advice. They can also treat you for UTIs, which often occur as a result of sex, and other infections that aren't STIs such as thrush and bacterial vaginosis. However, The Hub GP does not carry out full STI testing.

BeSavvy is a brilliant non-judgemental service which offers sexual health advice, guidance, condoms, lube, C-Cards, contraception, STI test kits and much more, all free of charge for students. It’s a great service which you can register for at Boots or Superdrug.

Image may contain: Man, Interior Design, Indoors, Accessories, Glasses, Accessory, Photo, Portrait, Photography, Beard, Flyer, Brochure, Poster, Paper, Advertisement, Human, Face, Person

However, STI home swab tests are all well and good for testing chlamydia and potentially gonorrhoea, but to make sure you're completely clean you need a blood test too. For this, and all other testing, you need to hit up the City of Coventry Health Centre, which is opposite Coventry College and behind Creams. The sexual health services are on the third floor.

Similarly to BeSavvy, they provide testing, treatment for STIs, free condoms etc – and if you’re under 25 the service is free! No need to register, you can just book online or walk in and you will be seen. Watch out though, the drop in clinic waiting times can be long. If you can, ring up and book an appointment to get tested.

Also – just to remind you, even if you have no symptoms, you need to get tested. Many STIs are symptomless these days and they can go undetected for months. Don't risk it, pop in here and get a full swab and blood test.

What can you do to prevent it?

Image may contain: Finger, Photography, Photo, Portrait, Coat, Jacket, Face, Person, Human, Clothing, Apparel

Condoms! They aren't just for preventing pregnancy, they help prevent the spread and creation of those pesky STIs. Many people choose not to use condoms due to being protected from pregnancy by other forms of contraception, however, this still leaves you at risk of catching or creating an STI. Don't be silly, cover your willy.

Having a good understanding of the sexual history with the person who you’re about to have sex with can go a long way as you both can discuss the best ways to protect yourselves from STIs. This is especially important if you're a gay or bisexual man, or are having sex with these men, because statistically you are more at risk.

Also, another cheeky STI fact that no one talks about enough: If you're snorting drugs – don't share notes. Or needles, but you probably aren't doing heroin, I hope. This is because tiny flecks of blood can get onto the note and pass into your nose, which is blood transfer and can transfer STIs. It's not worth the risk.

Breaking away from the stigma

The world is becoming more accepting in so many ways but there’s still a lack of knowledge and acceptance towards people who have an STI. So many people who have an STI and are afraid to admit it due to the judgements they could receive.

You forget that some STIs are for life, so shunning them can be particularly harmful for some people who are affected long term.

If we keep having open conversations about STIs, this will not only create more knowledge of the subject but also create the non judgemental environment that we need around STIs. Get tested, stay safe, and don't judge.