Image may contain: Urban, Neighborhood, Building, Vase, Pottery, Potted Plant, Plant, Jar, Flora

Coventry Uni made over £66,000 in library fines last year

Imagine how many meal deals that could have bought you

Coventry University have released figures showing that £66,729.01 was made in library fines in the 2016/17 academic year.

That means last year so many books were late or missing that they made sixty six grand off of us poor students.

This figure also comes as a huge increase from the 2015/16 year, where £55,536.66 was made. Basically Cov students are even more forgetful this year, it seems.

Coventry Library Website states the following about the 2015/16 stats:

"We do not separate the money generated by fines from the charges for replacing lost or never returned books on our financial system. The total income for fines and lost books was £55,536.66 in 2015-16.

"The total amount of money the library received from the payment of overdue items excludes costs of replacing lost books if possible – this request solely relates to the cost of items that are returned later than their due date."

The Tab has approached Coventry University library for comment on why they think the number of library fines has increased substantially in the last year.