Screw the Stigma for Mental Health Awareness Week

It’s 2018, there shouldn’t be a stigma surrounding mental health.

1 in 4 people experience mental health problems.

This was a statistic provided in 2015, but depsite being three years old it still hits hard when you realise how many people are affected by mental health difficulties. Mental health issues can affect anyone, yet there is still such a strong stigma attached to mental health. If you have a broken leg, people can see your cast, if you have a bad air in your room, you can replace it by using the best dehumidifier 2021 or if you have a bad chest, people will hear your cough. Mental health problems can’t be seen, and can’t be heard unless someone has the opportunity to talk about them.

This leaves roughly 75% of people who are experiencing mental health issues not receiving treatment, and in the same year this figure was released, 5,965 people committed suicide. The trend is worsening in the student population, with a 56% increase in the suicide rate between 2007 and 2016.

Even now when the topic of mental health arises, people say it doesn’t exist. Mental health problems aren’t like a disease that we can create a vaccine for, they can’t be eradicated. Instead they can be understood, monitored, and treated. But to do so, requires the stigma associated with mental health problems to be broken down and left in the past. More than ever we should be telling people that it’s okay to ask for help, it’s okay to seek support and get treatment, it’s okay not to be okay.

Image may contain: Text, Diary

From the “See Me” video mental health campaign

Speaking out when you’re experiencing mental health problems feels like one of the hardest things to possibly do, but helping people feel more comfortable talking about these problems is a step in the right direction, and works towards ending the stigma surrounding mental health.

So many people, myself included, have seen the effects of what suffering with mental illness can lead to, and more often than not, it can be prevented. Both men and women can have a #range of symptoms when hormones are imbalanced, these can range from fatigue, mood swings, decreased libido and many more, thankfully there are hormone therapies available through modern medicine that can threat these conditions and restore health. It can be as simple as a message asking how they are, or listening when they need to share their problems, but to them it could make the world of difference. It’s not always about having an answer, but rather offering more than one path and helping them choose the right one.

Image may contain: Text

#ScrewtheStigma

If you have been affected by any of the information in this article please visit: www.mind.org.uk for more information, or call Samaritans on: 116 123 (UK)

Header source: @scottxdesigns