Welsh Varsity is back this year and it’s celebrating its 25th anniversary

This will be the first time since 2019 that the tournament will be held in the capital

The pinnacle of university sports, the peak of spring, and arguably the most eventful day of the year for students in South Wales. Welsh Varsity is back.

Welsh Varsity 2023 will be held on Wednesday 26th April in Cardiff, with more than 10,000 Cardiff and Swansea students expected to flood into the city to watch the games unfold.

This year marks 25 years of the annual university sports tournament where thousands of Cardiff and Swansea Uni students go face-to-face, competing in over 30 different sports, ranging from waterpolo to lacrosse.

It is the rugby matches that usually take the spotlight of this tournament and both the ladies and men’s rugby fixtures will be taking place in Cardiff Arms Park this year. With a strong win from the Cardiff ladies’ rugby team at the Swansea.com Stadium in 2022, they will be looking to keep up this winning streak, whilst the Cardiff men’s rugby team aim to reclaim the Varsity cup, after losing 20-13 to Swansea last year.

Although the men’s rugby team missed out in their fixture last year, Cardiff still achieved an overall win across all sports in the tournament.

This year marks the first time since 2019 that the fixtures will be held in Cardiff as following the Covid-19 pandemic, Welsh Varsity was cancelled in 2020 and 2021.

Tickets will be available through Cardiff’s Students Union or Swansea’s Students Union closer to the time of the event.