‘Why, why, why?’: Tom Jones’ Delilah to be banned at Wales’ home Six Nations matches

It has been banned due to its supposed glorification of domestic violence

Tom Jones’ iconic hit Delilah has been banned from being sung by rugby choirs at the Principality Stadium in Cardiff.

The song, which is about the killing of a woman by her jealous partner, has long been thought of as the unofficial Welsh rugby national anthem, sung by thousands at each international game.

A Principality spokesperson announced the ban in a statement saying: “Delilah will not feature on the playlist for choirs for rugby internationals at Principality Stadium.

“Guest choirs have also more recently been requested not to feature the song during their pre-match performances and throughout games.

“The WRU condemns domestic violence of any kind.

“We have previously sought advice from subject matter experts on the issue of censoring the song and we are respectfully aware that it is problematic and upsetting to some supporters because of its subject matter.”

The ban has sparked a debate amongst rugby fans with some being outraged and others supporting WRU’s stance.

The Old Arcade in Cardiff tweeted: “We will be playing Delilah… It will be loud… It will be on a loop…”.

The tweet received a mixed response with one fan replying: “Read the room. Please don’t do it”, whilst another said: “Banning the song is complete virtue signalling and doesn’t help women of [domestic violence] in any way. Are people less likely to commit [domestic violence] now this song is banned?”

Wales international and Gloucester player, Louis Rees-Zammit also chimed into the debate, tweeting: “All the things they need to do and they do that first”.

The Cardiff Tab decided to ask Cardiff Uni students about what they thought of this recent ban. The results were unsurprisingly mixed.

Jess, a first-year student said: “I don’t really think it’s necessary to ban it. While I do understand it has bad connotations connected to the lyrics, I don’t think that it really has a bad influence on people. It’s just a recognisable song associated with getting fans excited for a rugby game. Everyone knows it and it brings everyone together. If we banned all songs in the past that had some sort of negative connections to them, we wouldn’t have many left.”

Another student, Sophia told us: “I think it would be different if Tom Jones was like a known violent person or had done the things in the song but yeah I don’t think it’s necessarily that deep and doesn’t need to be banned. I don’t think it’s necessarily about political correctness “going mad” though, I think that’s probably a fairly reductive view of what is a fair question to raise. I just think in this context it’s maybe not necessary to ban it but defo worth looking at examples like Delilah and debating them.”

Masters student, Henry added: “I think the song should never have been allowed to be played. It’s not only this year that we’ve decided that domestic violence is wrong and shouldn’t be glamourised.”

Many fans attending Welsh matches have said they will continue to sing the song in the stands and the WRU has explained that whilst choirs have been banned from performing the song, individuals will not be sanctioned for singing it during the games.

Feature Image Credit: Youtube