Confirmed: The first day of strikes at Welsh universities will take place in two weeks time

The first strike date will be the 1st February

Upcoming university strikes that are to affect students across Wales will begin on the 1st February, according to UCU.

Last week, the UCU confirmed that Welsh universities would be among the UK unis going on strike for better working conditions as well as disputes over salary and pensions.

Whilst the first date of the strikes has been announced, the UCU has said that the other 17 dates will be announced next week.

Cardiff University’s Pro Vice-Chancellor of Education and Student Experience, Claire Morgan said in an email to students that although the UCU will be taking strike action on 1st February, they have told the university that they will no longer be implementing a marking and assessment boycott in April.

Regarding the announcement of the first strike date, Jo Grady, UCU’s general secretary said: “Whilst the cost-of-living crisis rages, university vice-chancellors are dragging their feet and refusing to use the vast wealth in the sector to address over a decade of falling pay, rampant casualisation and massive pension cuts.

“On 1 February, 70,000 university staff will walk out alongside fellow trade unions and hundreds of thousands of other workers to demand their fair share.

“UCU remains committed to reaching a negotiated settlement, but if university employers don’t get serious and fast, more strike action fill follow in February and March.”