Tributes pour in for Cardiff city centre singer who passed away at 94

Neville Howard was known as ‘The Singing Pensioner’

Neville Howard, the pensioner heard singing in shops, streets and parks around the Cardiff city centre, has sadly passed at the age of 94.

Often found on the benches outside the former Debenhams store in St. David’s shopping centre, Mr. Neville became an icon and popular figure, praised for his musical talents and joy spreading.

In an interview with BBC Wales in 2020, he spoke of his arrival to the UK on his 18th Birthday as part of the Windrush generation, and of the racism he faced.

On hearing of his death, the General Secretary of Wales TUC, Shavanah Taj said “Rest in Perfect Peace and Power Neville Howard”. While shoppers interviewed by The Tab Cardiff have said: “It is gutting to hear, he always made everyone who walked passed smile” and “walking through town will never be quite the same again, Rest in Peace.”

The baritone singer will be sorely missed.

If you would like to read more about Neville’s life as ‘The Singing Pensioner’, please click here.

Related articles recommended by this writer:

• Cardiff University has released Graduation Day plans for the Class of 2020, 2021, and 2022

• All Covid regulations will be scrapped in Wales by the end this month

• This is how Storm Eunice has affected Cardiff so far