Vigil held at the National Museum for Bute Park murder victim, Dr. Gary Jenkins

He was killed in a homophobic attack in July 2021

TW: Violence and Homophobia.

On Sunday, February 6th 2022, a vigil was held outside of the National Museum in memory of Dr Gary Jenkins who was murdered in a homophobic attack in Bute Park on 20th July 2021. Dr Jenkins was attacked near the Summerhouse Cafe and died of his injuries 15 days later at the University Hospital of Wales.

Dr. Jenkins was attacked as he walked up this path by the Summerhouse Cafe

The vigil follows the trial of three people who have all been found guilty of his murder. All of the attackers, including a 17 year old girl, will be sentenced on March 25th.

Organisers of the vigil said that they hoped it would show unity against intolerance in the city. Attendees claim that the event was ”powerful” and ”moving” with a “fantastic turnout”.

The director of Stonewall Cymru, Davinia Green, who was present at the vigil stated that there were comments made at the trial that were damaging to the LGBTQ+ community such as one made by prosecuting barrister, Dafydd Enoch QC who stated that Dr Jenkins had been in Bute Park to meet “like-minded” men which in turn was his “undoing”. Green claimed that comments like these are “insulting and really insensitive” to the memory of the deceased and that statements like the one made by Enoch lead many in the community to avoid reporting hate crimes to the police.

Yan White, owner of the Queer Emporium, was also present at the vigil and said that he often hears stories of physical and verbal abuse against members of the LGBTQ+ community and that “a lot of people think that because there’s rainbows everywhere in June that maybe it’s fine”.

At the end of the event, organisers read out a message from Dr Jenkins’ family who thanked everyone that came and for the solidarity that they have shown.