BREAKING: The first case of the Covid-19 Omicron variant has been confirmed in Wales

It has been located in the Cardiff and Vale University Hospital Board area

The Omicron variant has been confirmed in Wales, with its first case being found today.

First detected in the UK on November 27, the variant was initially identified in South Africa. It has since been confirmed in England, Scotland, and now Wales.

The case is said to have been located in the Cardiff and Vale University Health Board area, with it being linked to international travel.

As per BBC News, the Welsh government have said that although this is a new variant of Covid, there is “no substantial evidence that the variant will lead to a more severe illness”.

The government also said it was prepared to “respond rapidly” to the growing variant, with actions being taken to stunt the spread.

Public Health Wales said: there is “no evidence of wider community transmission” whilst adding “the number of mutations in the Omicron variant is concerning, but new variants are anticipated.”

They further stated: “We keep variants under constant review, and we work with UK partners to identify, detect and monitor new and known variants.”

Data from South Africa shows the new variant might evade some immunity (which has been built up by a previous infection), however data is not yet available on the effectiveness of vaccine-derived immunity.

There have also been stricter measures for travel put into place in the UK recently, to combat the spread of the variant.

Everyone entering the country must now take a PCR test, and must isolate before they receive a negative result.

The red list for UK travellers has also be reinstated, which means all travellers from the listed red countries must isolate in a hotel upon entry into the UK.

We will update the article as more information becomes available.

Related articles recommended by this writer:

• Here’s all the latest Covid restrictions in Wales following the emergence of the Omicron variant

• Mark Drakeford announces new COVID-19 rules to come into force in Wales

• Here’s everything you need to know about the NHS Covid Pass required to get into venues in Wales