Here’s all the latest Covid restrictions in Wales following the emergence of the Omicron variant

The new rules concern travel regulations and face coverings

New Covid rules have come into force in Wales, in response to concerns over the new Omicron variant of Covid-19 first detected in South Africa, 14 cases of which have so far been confirmed in the UK. 

The new regulations include:

• Day Two PCR Test for international arrivals and self-isolation until they receive a negative result.

• Mandatory wearing of masks on public transport and in shops.

A Welsh Government spokesperson said: “We have repeatedly raised our concerns with the UK government about its decision to relax international travel rules quickly, precisely because of the risk of introducing new variants into the UK.

“We will be introducing the same measures on international travel as those announced this afternoon by the UK government and the other devolved governments. Welsh ministers will continue to meet this evening and over the weekend to monitor the situation in Wales and decide whether any further immediate action is required to protect public health.”

Chief Medical Officer for England, Professor Christ Whitty said it is “inevitable” the Omicron variant will spread across the world over the next few days. Concerns are emerging over how effective vaccines will be as protection against this new variant – but reassurances have been made that those who are vaccinated or receive the booster jab will be less likely to become seriously ill.

A spokesperson for the Welsh Government also said: “The emergence of this new variant is a serious development in the ongoing pandemic and reinforces the need for everyone in Wales to get their vaccine or booster when offered, wear face coverings when necessary, and book a test if they develop symptoms.”

For more details about this announcement, please click here