Students in Wales asked to get Covid vaccinations before September

Universities in Wales have made this call amidst plans to resume in-person teaching

Universities in Wales—the body representing the eight universities in Wales—have asked students in the country to get vaccinated before returning on campus in September.

They said: “We are strongly encouraging all students to take up the offer of Covid vaccination. Those who are unable to access a vaccination at home will be able to take up the offer of vaccination when they arrive.”

This decision comes in light of some Welsh universities planning to resume occasional face-to-face teaching, including Cardiff Met. But large lectures will remain online for at least the following term, whilst masks and social distancing will be recommended.

Cardiff University have noted that covid measures will be reviewed throughout the year, in accordance with the Welsh Government guidelines. They will assist with the cost of quarantining in hotels and covid testing for international students. It has also been said that large events, such as Freshers’ Week are unlikely to go ahead.

Swansea University have added that there will be teaching in groups for up to 30 students and that campus sports facilities will be open.

Professor Cara Aitchison, Vice Chancellor of Cardiff Metropolitan University, was “optimistic” the 2021-22 academic year would be more normal for students as it progresses.

However, she advised caution until more people are vaccinated and the effect of easing restrictions is clearer.

Professor Aitchison has been confident enough to book the Wales Millennium Centre for three years of live graduation ceremonies for Cardiff Met students next summer. That will cover 16 ceremonies for thousands of students including 2022 and the delayed ceremonies from 2020 and 2021.

If you would like to book your Covid vaccination in Wales, you can contact your local health board. The contact information can be found here.