Three police officers injured during violent incident in Cardiff Bay

Missiles were thrown at the officers

Police Officers were injured on Tuesday evening after an incident in Cardiff Bay.

After crowds had gathered around Mermaid Quay, near the steps of the Senedd, officers reportedly attempted to move people along. This resulted in missiles being thrown, leaving three officers with minor injuries.

According to a statement from South Wales Police, the “number of missiles” thrown at the officers included items such as “bottles”.  A knife was also found at the scene after the police made the arrest.

A 21-year-old man and a 16-year-old-boy were arrested on suspicion of public order offences and have since been released on bail. An investigation is currently ongoing to identify further participants in the incident.

WalesOnline reported that an eyewitness who saw the police making arrests said: “There were 10 plus police vans, and around 50 police on the streets chasing people. There was fighting, spitting, no face masks, drink, drugs and violence. I really feel for the police and their family.”

Cardiff and the Vale of Glamorgan Chief Inspector Tony Williams said: “The vast majority of people attending beauty spots throughout the area on Tuesday evening were doing so in accordance with current Covid restrictions and were respectful of others and the area they were visiting.

“We maintained a police presence at these locations to remind people of their obligations under current restrictions.

“Crowds were dispersed at various points through the evening, and at around 10pm, officers were required to intervene in an incident of violent disorder in Cardiff Bay.”

He added: “The violence levelled at officers were despicable and will not be tolerated, nor will we tolerate the antisocial behaviour and criminality displayed by the minority on Tuesday evening.”

Police plan to increase patrols in key areas as South Wales is set to have another warm day.