Cardiff Uni ‘s financial support package for students: Here’s what we know

This will provide financial aid to some of the most vulnerable students

Cardiff University has announced that it will be providing additional funding to students as a part of its Covid-19 ‘support package’. This funding is being provided across all Welsh universities via the Higher Education Funding Council for Wales (HEFCW).

In an email from the Pro Vice-Chancellor for Education and Students, Claire Morgan, she expressed that there would be three elements to this funding, which are listed below:

The Covid-19 Student Support Fund

This will be available to all students struggling to meet essential expenses due to the pandemic. They will be able to claim £350 and the funding is available to undergraduates and postgraduates, full-time home and international students, and also part-time students studying 60 credits or more during the 2020-21 academic year.

The scheme will be open to applications from Monday 15th March via SIMS.

You will need to list the expenses you are struggling to meet, give the main reasons for struggling to meet these expenses, and confirm you have been impacted financially by the Covid-19 pandemic. You must also provide your bank details.

Support for students that have been more adversely affected by the pandemic

This is for the students that the Welsh Government has noted as being more adversely affected by the current situation.

Undergraduates who are funded by the Student Loan Company and whose income has been assessed as £25,000 or lower will receive a ‘top-up bursary’. This will total £350 and will be paid directly into their bank account.

For undergraduates who are funded by the NHS and whose income has been assessed as £25,000 or lower, then they will be eligible for the same top-up bursary.

These are not available for postgraduates.

For undergraduates and postgraduates who are carers or estranged from their family, they will receive £350 but only if they have not received a top-up bursary due to income. If you believe that you fit into these categories then contact [email protected] to discuss further.

Those who are eligible will receive their money by the end of June.

If you are considered a disabled student then the university will be in contact with you regarding this scheme.

Update regarding rent rebates for students living in university accommodation

The application for rent rebates is now available via SIMS. The university has expressed that eligible students have already been contacted in regard to support available and the related process.

Claire Morgan also said that the university is continuing to offer the Digital Capability Scheme for students without the equipment needed for remote learning. The Financial Assistance Programme is also still available for any students in financial trouble.

The university has also expressed they will be back in contact shortly regarding face-to-face learning after the Easter break.