Here are Cardiff’s cutest independent cafés to visit this Christmas

A list of small business cafés to bless your Insta feed

Christmas is a time for friends and family, good food, and warm drinks. 2020 has been such a different year for businesses big and small, so we decided to explore Cardiff’s cutest cafés this festive season to help you out. Here’s our verdict:

Secret Garden Café is Bute Park’s finest

Credit: Instagram @secretgardencf

The Secret Garden Café is perfect for your winter walks in Bute Park. Grab a speciality coffee and some of their renowned food, using locally produced ingredients, and take a stroll around. With dairy milk alternatives and some gluten-free options, this really is the place to fulfil your winter walk needs – and your Insta story needs ofc.

Plant lovers head to Eartha

Credit: Instagram @earthastore

A unique café on our list, Eartha boasts an impressive selection of plants that you can browse and buy. With an ever-changing vegetarian menu, there is always something vibrant and exciting to try here. Eartha is a ‘not-for-profit community interest company’ who work to promote well-being and sustainable living. Stop by on City Road and feel like your living in a Pinterest board.

Uncommon Ground is the place to study

Credit: Instagram @uncommonground 

Uncommon Ground is the perfect place to get that last minute, end of term assignment work done. Grab a latte, or a cake (gluten free and vegan options available) and smash out that essay in the perfect location. You can find this café in the Royal Arcade. When you’re done, you can have a browse in all the lovely shops that the Royal Arcade has to offer, and walk back to Cathays through Bute Park. Wholesome or what?

Tea lovers, Waterloo Tea is the one for you

Credit: Instagram @waterlootea 

If you’re less of a coffee person, and more of a tea fanatic, then Waterloo Tea is the place for you. They boast an amazing range of teas to choose, from berry teas to floral teas – and even festive ones. There is something for every taste. Head to Wyndham Arcade to get your tea fix, you won’t regret it.

Wild Thing uses a ‘pay what you can’ scheme

Credit: Instagram @wildthingcardiff

Wild Thing is a non-profit café in Cathays, with an amazing seasonal menu that changes every two weeks. Try anything from a fresh vegan pastry to pancakes for breakfast, and anything from a hotpot to a bap for lunch. They operate on a ‘pay what you can’ scheme, meaning you pay as little or as much as you can afford. Their aim is to make food accessible to all! Find Wild Thing on Cathays Terrace, you don’t even have to leave Cathays – what a winner. 

Missing home cooking? Crumbs is your guy

Credit: Instagram @crumbskitchencardiff

If your missing home cooking, Crumbs is the place to go. With hearty warm food, including soups and jacket potatoes, it’s the perfect place to meet and have a winter warmer. You can find Crumbs in the Morgan Arcade. Also a good place to take the rents when they come up, it’s easy and your mum won’t take 20 minutes to decide what she’s having. Oh, and it’s right in the middle of all the shops so you can force your rents to get you a Christmas present before you head home.

Cute and central: Big Moose Coffee Co

Credit: Instagram @bigmoosecoffeeco

Big Moose Coffee co is a non-profit café which was started in honour of the owner’s late best friend. There’s great coffee and hearty grub, with all the profits going to help the homeless and other disadvantaged members of society. It’s right in the centre of town, so is a great place to stop when you’re doing some Christmas shopping or having a break from uni work.

Blanche Bakery is the most instagrammable

You might have seen Blanche Bakery on the corner of Mackintosh Place in Cathays, with queues outside on a weekend morning. As Wales’ first independent donut shop, Blanche Bakery serves the cutest vegan donuts, cocktails, and coffees. They’re only open for takeaways at the moment, but they still sell out very quickly!

So there we have it, these are the cutest cafés in Cardiff to get your Christmas coffee fix. After all, now – more than ever- is a time we should be supporting small businesses.

Related articles recommended by this writer:

What does your Covid-safe study space say about you?

Confessions of an online shopaholic: Cardiff students’ most rouge lockdown buys

Cardiff Winter Wonderland will be replaced by ‘Christmas at the Castle’ for 2020