Cardiff University has discovered that mouthwash can eradicate coronavirus in 30 seconds

A clinical trial will be going ahead soon

A Cardiff University scientific study has discovered that mouthwash can eradicate Covid-19 in 30 seconds.

The University’s report explained that mouthwash containing at least 0.07% of cetypyridinium chloride (CPC) showed “promising signs” of reducing coronavirus levels.

This news has been released ahead of a clinical trial to see if over-the-counter mouthwash has the potential to eliminate the virus in saliva.

This recent study, carried out at Cardiff University’s laboratory, imitated the conditions of a person’s naso/oropharynx passage by using mouthwash, specifically the brand ‘Dentyl’.

The upcoming clinical trial will be testing the saliva of patients at the University Hospital of Wales to see whether mouthwash is effective in reducing the viral load of those suffering from Covid-19. It is hoped that the results of the trial will be announced in early 2021.

Professor David Thomas commented on the recent findings by saying: “Whilst these mouthwashes very effectively eradicate the virus in the laboratory, we need to see if they work in patients and this is the point of our ongoing clinical study.”

“It is important to point out the study won’t give us any direct evidence on viral transmission between patients, that would require a different type of study on a much larger scale.

“The ongoing clinical study will, however, show us how long any effects last, following a single administration of the mouthwash in patients with Covid-19.”

Dr Richard Clayton, a specialist periodontologist, followed by saying that he believes these results are “very valuable” and that mouthwash containing CPC “could become an important addition to people’s routine, together with hand washing, physical distancing and wearing masks, both now and in the future.”