Breaking News

Cardiff fresher has died following suspected drug related incident

The student was found collapsed on Saturday morning

An 18-year-old student who was found collapsed in her halls on Saturday morning has died, South Wales Police have announced.

Emergency services were called to Talybont Halls following the discovery of the student by her flatmates at 12.40am on Saturday 14th November. She was taken to University Hospital of Wales, where she died last night.

South Wales Police say that the student’s family travelled to South Wales to be by her side in hospital, and that they are currently being supported following the news of her death.

SWP has also announced that a 23-year-old by the name Lanoi Lidell, from Pentwyn, is due to appear at Cardiff Magistrates’ Court today. He is being charged with offering to supply ketamine and cocaine, and supplying MDMA and ketamine.

The student’s death comes just days after the death of a 25-year-old man, who died in the early hours of Sunday morning after emergency services were called to Taff Street in Tongwynlais at 12.15am.

Police have warned that ketamine may have played a factor in both the deaths: “Users of controlled drugs are once again reminded that they should be aware that they can never be 100% sure of exactly what they are taking.

“These drugs are illegal and there is every possibility that they may contain a cocktail of toxic ingredients.”

Cardiff University Students’ Union said: “It is with great sadness to hear the news of the death of one of our students. Our thoughts are with the family and friends during this incredibly difficult time. The University will be reaching out to provide additional support to any students impacted.”