Breaking News

South Wales Police issue drug warning after Talybont student found in critical condition

It is thought a dangerous form of ketamine is being circulated around Cardiff

South Wales Police issued a warning yesterday after an investigation was carried out into the dealing of illegal drugs, thought to be a bad batch of ketamine, in the Cardiff area.

This was sadly followed by the death of a 25-year-old man and the hospitalisation of an 18-year-old woman who is said to be in a critical condition.

The university subsequently retweeted the post and have also posted about it on the Cardiff University app, issuing a warning to students over the supply of dangerous drugs.

The university said: “Users of controlled drugs should be aware that they can never be 100% sure of exactly what they are taking. These drugs are illegal and there is every possibility that they may contain a cocktail of toxic ingredients.”

The Cardiff Tab understands that the 18-year-old is a Cardiff University fresher. She was found collapsed by her flatmates, and is now in a critical condition at University Hospital Wales.

A Cardiff University spokesperson said: “We shared an urgent drugs warning from South Wales Police (SWP) with our students yesterday (15/11/20), as requested by SWP.

“It is against the law to take and supply drugs and it is also extremely dangerous. Batches of drugs can vary in purity and strength and are potentially lethal and mixing drugs with alcohol further increases this risk.

“The conduct and behaviour expected of our students is contained in our Academic Regulations Handbook. Any student found to breaching these regulations may be subject to student disciplinary procedures and in some cases, legal action.

“Anyone with any information relating to the use or sale of drugs should contact the police on 101 or via private message or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555111.

“Any student needing advice or support should contact [email protected].”

Our thoughts are with the families and friends of the 25 year-old gentleman and the 18-year-old student.